Story 13 - "I really do love you"

Based: Some time after Season 2's ending.

Sorry for the wait. I wrote this once, but the draft got deleted, so here I am again. If you see in any mistakes, please point them out in the comments! Hope is a full tribrid in this, but that isn't like a major focus of the story :)

Josie starts giggling at something Hope said. She can't exactly remember what it had been anymore, but it is funny enough to make her fall back in a fit of laughter. Her back presses against the soft grass, eyes closing to shield her sight from the sun. Hope finds that Josie's laugh is contagious, and soon she is laying next to her girlfriend in the flower field. It's the perfect place for a date. Too perfect, in fact, but in this very moment, laying amongst a field of Josie's favorite flowers, they are too happy to care.

Sure, the worry hasn't left Hope, the question of whether or not everything will be okay. It plays at the back of her mind, a constant and painful reminder, but right now, she is perfectly content being in the presence of Josie Saltzman. Everything feels right when they are together, even if it's not. Even if this isn't their reality, they can still pretend that it is.

Hope turns to look at Josie, whose face is scrunched up from laughter, her hands pressed gently against her stomach. She watches her briefly, before pulling a flower out of the ground. Then, she leans over Josie, putting a hand against her cheek. Now sensing that her vision is shielded from the sun, Josie opens her eyes, leaning into her girlfriend's touch. She smiles brightly as Hope slides the flower in between her brown locks and leans up to kiss her. It's a short and sweet touch of their lips, yet enough to create a feeling of butterflies and fireworks.

They lay still, holding hands, staring up at the sky. There aren't many clouds in sight, though there are enough to play a game where they say what they think each one looks like. Not much talking happens for some minutes, the pair happy enough to stay in silence. Josie tries to ignore the fact that none of her surroundings are real, she tries to ignore that this is far too perfect, and for a while, she is successful in this. But the longer they lay there, the harder it is to ignore. The harder it becomes to pretend that laying in a field of only her favorite flowers is an actual possibility. And suddenly, she is struggling to pretend. She knows why they are here, away from the real world, and she feels something weighing on her chest, something that she just has to say.

It seems Hope can sense that Josie is lost in thought, because blue eyes are staring into brown eyes, right as she asks "What are you thinking about, my love?" Josie sits up, what she has to say won't be easy for either of them, but she knows it has to be said. Hope sits up too, still keeping their hands locked together.

"Just that...i-if I don't make it out of thi-" Hope cuts her off without letting her finish the sentence. The last thing the tribrid wants to hear is the end of that sentence.

"Don't, Please, don't." Hope shakes her head, emotions coming to the front. She keeps telling herself that she has to stay strong, if not for herself then for Josie.

"Hope..." Josie tries to smile, she does, however, the heaviness that now surrounds the conversation makes it difficult to do so. That, and the look of total and utter sadness on Hope's face, makes smiling seem impossible. "If I don't make it out of this, i-if I...I just need you to know how much you mean to me. You helped me through my darkest times, you made me believe that I deserved forgiveness. And, above all else, you need to know how much I love you." She finishes, the words getting caught in her throat one too many times.