Story 28 - "Josie's happy ending"

Authors note:

This story is once again sad which for some reason, I enjoy writing. Anyway, here ya go (sorry in advance for the pain this may cause). This story contains a few flashbacks, but the format of them and how they are written should make it obvious when they are happening :)

Finally, if you haven't read/seen it yet, I have posted the previous story as a book of its own, where I will be continuing it further. Go check it out and leave your thoughts in the comments!

In a human world, Hope wasted too much time running from her feelings, that she's now left to watch as the person she loves lives a happy life without her.

This day could have been the best of her life. But what should have been isn't what has come to be.

Hope has spent her entire life running from her feelings, and when she was finally ready to face them she was too late.

She's been a coward ever since high school when they first met. When she was the new girl in Mystic Falls after her family moved for her father's job. And when Josie was her tour guide, the person to show her the ins and outs, the clicks and hiding spots of Mystic Falls High.

<i>Hope took a deep breath. It wasn't the first time she had to move schools, and she doubted it would be the last. Her father's job had always required moving, never staying in one place too long. 

It wasn't easy. She'd get settled, make friends, and feel happy, only to end up moving somewhere new. Her parents knew how she felt, and each time they'd say they need to move. Each time they'd give the same "I'm sorry, but you'll make new friends and fit right in" excuse, and each time, it never came true.

Still, Hope moved forward. She carried on. She lived with it and accepted that it is how her life would be. Even if it sucked. Even if it was hard and she hated it, she'd accept it because it was what was "best for the family". It was what had to happen.

She headed to the reception desk, where she had been told to go. Thanks to some signs dotted around, it was easy enough to find. The person behind there told her that someone would be there soon to take her to classes and show her around during breaks.

She waited until finally, she heard a voice behind her. It was soft, joyful, and when she turned around she was met with possibly one of the most beautiful people she'd ever seen.

"Are you Hope Mikaelson?" The girl asked. Hope looked at her, assessing the situation. The girl had a kind smile and pretty eyes. Hope thought she could grow to like her, maybe one day become friends with her. Then the harsh reality kicked it, and she remembered she'd be moving again, no doubt in a few months. And suddenly, she wasn't sure if she could do that to herself, if she could get close to somebody else, only to end up eventually losing them.

"I am, yes." She finally found an answer.

"Perfect! I'm Josie Saltzman! I'm going to be showing you around today!" The girl had a certain energy about her, one that Hope wasn't used to, but she liked it. It was nice, far different from the more serious ones of her parents.  It was like a breath of fresh air. Yet it was something she couldn't, shouldn't, get used to. "Have you had your schedule yet?"

Hope nodded, showing the paper to Josie. Hope watched her face as she looked over the paper. She noticed the frown on her eyebrows as she concentrated.

"Oh, you have Mr. Smith for maths. He's really good. He helped me get good grades last year." Josie rambled. "And you have Mrs.Williams for English. She's lovely. And...oh god. Mr.Wilkins for History. Now that's unfortunate." She laughed. Hope liked that sound. Her laugh. Josie's laugh. It was cute and bright and everything you'd imagine if you met this girl.