Story 30 "In another life"

Authors note:
Don't ask me when this is set (in canon) bc I don't know, just some point in late season 1.

I edited it in small chunks, so if something seems off when you read it as a whole, please let me know if something doesn't seem right or doesn't make sense. I tend to miss things quite often lmao.

Josie picks up a mysterious artifact, and suddenly everything is different...but she's not complaining.

Josie, with notebook and pen in hand, wanders into the room. It's a museum of sorts, a room within the school that holds so much history, so much significance. She looks around at the shelves and cupboards and cases. Various magical artifacts sit behind a thick layer of glass, all with their capabilities and stories.

Josie approaches the collection of objects with purpose, her class having been assigned the task of crafting an essay around one of them. She's curious, perhaps even a little excited, about which one she would ultimately choose. Her discerning eye surfs across the offerings from left to right, marveling at the intricate patterns and vibrant hues. Examining each piece's title and description carefully, Jose's fascination grew evocatively stronger.

She passes by each one, inspiration not yet striking. That is until she reaches the end of the first case. Her eyes fixate on a spherical artifact tucked into the corner. A pull beckons her attention toward it. It bears no name, no description, remaining an enigma. This only draws her in closer as it calls to her.

Her fingertips itch to reach for it, despite knowing she shouldn't.

Her hand reaches. She stops, hesitating.

She shouldn't, but the object calls to her. A chorus of whispers cascades around her, echoing through the air with an escalating intensity. They tell her to grab it, to hold it in her hands, to feel its power, and to connect with it.

With a mix of apprehension and curiosity, Josie lifts the glass protection layer, touching the artifact for the first time. It's cold, a metal of some kind, and roughly the size of an orange, but its weight is almost non-existent, defying the laws of gravity. Josie can feel the gentle vibrations of magic flowing through it, unable to draw them out. Its exterior is adorned with intricate patterns and details that make it one of a kind, which surely holds the secrets to its forgotten story.

The whispers transform into a mix of indistinguishable yells, a symphony of secrets she longs to unravel which remain just out of her reach, leaving her both captivated and frustrated by their enigmatic nature.

Josie increases her grip out of fear of dropping the object and shattering this piece of history. And suddenly it's glowing, like the kind of glow that happens when she siphons. A bright copper-colored glow flowing from the artifact and into her. It burns. Then it hurts. As if thousands of pins are digging into the palms of her hands, peeling away each layer, digging toward the bones. But she can't let it go, she tries yet it sticks to her hands like glue. As if it won't let her. As if it has chosen her to fall victim to its purpose. Parts of the object twist and turn, spinning faster and faster, like it's building to something. She doesn't know what, but it scares her.

Josie squeezes her eyes shut, wishing for the pain to stop. The sense of endlessness persists until, moments later, it finally comes to an end. When she's sure it won't come back, she opens her eyes, letting the light in. And with this light comes confusion, because she's no longer in that room anymore, she's in a bed. Except it's not her bed, and if the dip that she can feel in the mattress behind her is any indication, then she's not alone either.

Josie rolls over, her heart pounding, uncertain of who or what awaits her.

"Ah!" She yelps, practically falling out of bed. Josie looks down, realizing all she is wearing is a bra and her underwear.