Chapter 6: 1 vs 1

Running my hands across a variety of small gadgets on a table set up in the corner of the large training room, I read each label on top of every item carefully. Lazers, knifes, flashlights, lock picks, and all other sorts of items disguised as everyday objects: pens, makeup, and jewelry.

Like the natural stalker I am, I look over to watch the others train- falling into a trance when my eyes fix on both Finn and Zach having a weightlifting contest. Zach's broad shoulders and muscular arms are displayed beautifully through his clothing choice of a tank top, and Finn... oh my gosh Finn! His white t-shirt, clinging to his abs, is spotted with small pools of sweat, and his blonde hair is hanging messily over his eyes makes me weak at the knees.

Sensing my staring (and drooling), Finn looks up with dumbbells clutched in his hands, and therefore (much to my personal liking), muscles flexed. He makes a pained yet polite smile causing my face to burn red. I return the smile before looking away as fast as possible.

On the other side of the room my eyes fall upon Luna and Oliver training together. Luna is laying on the weight bench, holding the weight above her. Oliver is standing behind her, lightly holding the bar so she doesn't drop it on herself. Her arms are shaking, and her teeth are gritted, but she is doing way better than I ever could. That thing would squish me like a cockroach.

"Ok you can let go now" Luna says, her voice strained, and Oliver takes his hands off the bar. She holds it for a few seconds before yelling "Quick take it back!" her panic evident.

"I've got it, don't worry." says Oliver in his evidently British voice, taking the weight back and putting it on the rack. "You broke your record!" He beams down at her.

"Hooray! What was that?" she sits up.

"51kg, damn girl you're strong!" He chuckles while passing her a black water bottle.

Smiling at the friends, I take a step back, and onto something- earning a high-pitched yelp from the victim of my foot.

My heart jolted from the fright and is now threatening to jump from my chest as I turn to face Zali. Punching her in the arm (lightly, I hope), I say "What the hell! You scared the crap out of me!"

Clutching her toes, she replies "First you stood on me... and then you punched me? I'm the one who gets to say, 'what the hell'!"

"Whatever, I'm not sorry! I nearly had a heart attack because you snuck up on me" I say, folding my arms over my chest and leaning back against the table.

She giggled, "I'm a spy, that's what I do!"

I return a smile to assure her I'm not actually mad. "So, our mission starts tomorrow, right?"

"Yep" copying my position, she leans beside me shoulder to shoulder. "We get our gadgets and weapons this afternoon; I can't wait to see which is going to be your signature gadget." She elbows me in a friendly manner. Gosh, I hope it isn't something that is actually dangerous because it will end up doing more damage to me than whoever I'm trying to use it against. "We also have a hand-to-hand combat lesson, which is always fun".

"Sounds great..." I add.

At lunch, we sat around our usual table eating wraps piled with vegetables (I overdid mine with the greens so they would think I'm healthy).

"So, we go on our mission tomorrow, and Blair's first mission ever" Oliver smiles.

"Grasshopper is going to be a real asset to the team." I knew it was Zach talking from the first word. Despite my clear annoyance, he elaborated "grasshoppers are skinny and can get in small gaps as well as jump high" Zach, who is sitting beside me (he made a habit of that), nudges my arm.