Chapter 9: Lasers and Bombs

My eyes remain fixed on the computer screen in front of me. "It could be a cover." Even as it leaves my mouth, I don't believe it.

"It's possible" Zach replied. My eyes move back to the girl. She is...stunning. Black hair falls over her shoulders as she moves. Her dark eyes and jawline are sharper than a knife.

"So, what's the next move?"

"We can't be sure she hasn't swapped sides. She could be with the enemy now, I mean with the story we were told about the last team sent on this mission, the theory lines up."

"Why would she do that? Betray the agency for this place?"

"I don't know her very well. I've spoken to her a few times, enough to know she is very smart. She's a legacy, her father was one of the most elite agents in the world until he disappeared one day on a mission. She then became a full-time agent, well ahead of people in her group."

Luna interrupts our theorising. "Let's just stick to the mission and get the USB." She clicks a few keys on the keyboard in front of her. The screen changes, showing angles of more cameras. "Here" she leans closer to the screen, pointing to an office. Muriks office, as evident by the plaque on the desk.

"Seems like the place to start looking for an important USB" Zach says. Luna mumbles a few words to herself, then repeats the same uncoherent sequence of noises.

"Alright, I know the directions to the room and the cameras should be switched off, but we don't have long before someone notices they are down" Luna says.

"So that's the plan, we just go to the room, grab the USB and get out? Sounds easy enough" Fleur states. She spins her gun around her fingers in a mesmerising fashion, as if she is unconscious she is even doing it- like flicking your pen in class (not that I'm coordinated enough for that, either).

"It's not going to be that easy, obviously there are guards already chasing us" Luna states the obvious.

"I know that. I'm kidding. We can take it, though". Fleur pushes off where she was leaning in the doorway, sliding the gun back onto her belt. Finn's gorgeous ocean eyes turn to look her, and I can't help but admire the way his blonde hair cascades perfectly beside his face. He is beautiful.

And she doesn't seem to care that the most gorgeous boy on the planet cannot keep his eyes off her. He is falling to her feet, and she can still properly function? If Finn looked at me like that, I would faint on the spot. Honestly, I don't give her enough credit for how strong she is.

She is his everything. I want to be his everything.

Finn exits the room first, gun pointed in front of him as he signals the hallways is clear, and for us to follow.

The hallways are echoey, and distant footsteps can be easily heard. It's difficult to judge exactly how far away they are. We walk slowly to not be heard. It's difficult to not be tempted to sprint and get out of the halls as quickly as possible. The thought of being shot from behind sends shivers down my spine, but I don't look back.

We make it to Muriks office unnoticed. We stand on opposite sides of the door, Finn and Zach with their guns held up- ready to burst through the door.

The handle is locked.

I turn to Luna, expecting her to pull out her pick, but instead, Finn kicks the door in. Small chips of wood fly.

I try to remain focused on the mission, and not how incredibly hot that was.