Chapter 16: Guilt-free

The conversation hung in the air like a smoke bomb.

Friends. Finn was up for grabs. And I will be the one to grab him.

Now I know where he stands with her, and she has her long overdue closure, I can like him ungiltily again.

But there is a part of me that can't. A part of me that resents him, living in the sudden flashbacks of how he spoke to me those first few days that now feel like years ago. Angry at my mistakes even though all of this was new to me. Laughing at me. Yelling at me. Then kissing me. It's all too much.

I heard footsteps from the room, and the door open. Rushing from the bathroom, I be-line for the door to try and make it back to the others so Fleur and Finn don't suspect my inability to mind my own business.

Instead, Luna comes into the room, closely followed by Zali.

Luna sighs. "Blair, eves dropping is so wrong."

"Oh come-off-it Luna. Blair, tell us the gossip!"

It felt wrong to say. "Fleur and Finn made up. They agreed to be friends." I flop onto my bed.

"Oh" Zali said, sitting beside me. "I really thought her and Finn were so lovely together." She stayed silent, trying to process how her romantic predictions could possibly be wrong.

"How could you do this Blair?" Luna asked. I sat up.

"How could I do this?" I gasped. "Get off your pedestal Luna. People make mistakes. I'm just a seventeen-year-old girl who had a crush. And for your information, he kissed me! Not the other way around. Finn is a grown boy. In fact, he is older than both Fleur and I. He can be held accountable for his wrongs."

Luna moved back slowly. "I just meant, things won't be the same between everyone now."

"That's not my fault. Things between Fleur and Finn were already unstable, and they just happened to surface. Now old wounds can actually heal, and things can be actually good and healthy."

"Maybe Blair is what Finn needs" Zali looked at Luna. I was going to miss Zali.

"I don't want Finn anyway" I said, overcome by my newfound rage directed at him.

"I guess we will see" Luna smiled softly.

The door then opened with a fast swing and a bang, Fleur standing in the doorway.

She looked up and took a deep breath, releasing through her nose. Holding her arms out wide a smile grew on her face. "I feel... liberated. Come on girls, lets go play uno for the last time." She practically skipped over, her two braids bouncing around, and took our hands dragging us out the door.

"Creek, now!" Luna called from the doorway to the boys room. After Zach and Oliver obediently filled out, I blocked Finn in.

I wasn't feeling the cheery mood Fleur was.

When the others were out of sight down the hall, I walked into the room, pushing Finn backward as well. I shut the door behind me.

"Don't you feel at least a little guilty for what you did?"

His brows furrowed together. "Not now, Blair. We are all about to go home. Can't we just act like nothing ever happened?"

"Exactly, we are about to go home. And I have things to say, so this is my only chance."