Chapter 13: On the Other Side of the Door

Using the small device given to us by Celine, Finn contacts her to assist with our escape.

On our way to the garage, we walk past multiple guards. Finn and I hold our act, and were only questioned about our business once, to which we responded with the same story we told the workers in the laboratory. Krisha's frightening authority worked in our favour, so nobody questioned it.

When we finally make it to the empty hallway that leads to the garage, we sprint outside- too anxious and eager to waste any more time.

The warm sun pours over my skin like a comforting hug as we escape the unnatural cold of the building. I hear the sound of the helicopter overhead and have to hold back my smile. It isn't over yet.

A ladder swings back and forth from the helicopter. I cling onto the bottom of it, and climb as fast as I can, motivated to move faster by the sounds of guards approaching fast. Finn, still carrying Fleur, holds onto the ladder with one arm as the helicopter flies off. I refrain from looking down as the helicopter moves higher and higher, my life and safety in my own clumsy hands.

Zach reaches his hand for mine as the first few bullets are being shot. Scared and exhausted, I collapse against the side of the helicopter as soon as I am safe, strapping myself into a seatbelt.

Oliver and Zach pull Fleur up, and with a grunt, Finn pulls himself fully onboard. I close my eyes and put my head in my hands, escaping reality for just a moment.

Blair, you did it. You're ok. You survived.

I feel someone sit beside me, our shoulders brushing. I don't open my eyes, instead just sigh, feeling the pain in every inch of my body slowly turn numb.

I feel someone's warm breath on my neck as they turn to me. "Nice work, grasshopper" Zach whispers in my ear. A small smile creeps onto my face. If only he had the slightest clue how happy that short sentence made me. Though I'm not sure I deserve it. Afterall, we would have been back from the mission by now if it wasn't for me.

After a few minutes of everyone taking it all in, Luna smiles. "We did it!"

I finally open my eyes. Fleur is not sitting in the open back of the helicopter with us, and I presume she has been taken up with front with Celine. Guilt washes over me. Now looking at the gang without Fleur, it looks strange, as if she was the centre, or the sun that we all gathered around.

I shake the sick feeling in my stomach. "So, now what?" I ask, glancing around the group. Oliver is whiter than paper as he squeezes his eyes shut, once again petrified in the air. He is holding Lunas hand so tight I fear he will break some of her bones. It's nice to know someone is more scared than me. Honestly thought, I do not have the energy to be scared right now.

"Now we go back to our lives" Luna replies. How can I go back to normal and act like I haven't killed people?

Now, the girl who was once the real version of me has become a part to play- a character- the role of an innocent normal teenage girl, because I am no longer her. Everything has changed.

"Until there is a new mission, of course. Then we will see each other again" Zach says, winking at me. I turn my head to hide my scarlet blush.

"Oh Finn, what happened to that pretty face of yours?" Luna asks, examining his cuts and bruises.

Finn brings his hand to his bleeding lip that he acquired some point during the escape. "It's nothing." He rests his head back. "I'd be dead without Blair" he says, and I'm glad his eyes are shut so he can't see me smile.