Chapter 6

A/N: I'm finally back with some actual content!! *smirk face* Sorry!

Sometimes I get busy with household stuff over the weekends, and I end up not being able to update both stories...

Ok! One more thing before we move on to the story, this chapter is in third person POV for Sokeefe.

It's the same few scenes, but from different points of view. I like writing that way... It's my favourite writing style now.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

Sophie

Sophie stood up in utter shock before she realised what was happening

The rest of the Cygnets followed.

Chairs toppled to the ground everywhere, but no one seemed to notice.

"What?" Sophie whispered.

"It's the truth," whispered Agent Squall, wiping her turquoise eyes.

Sophie's knees went weak. Keefe caught her by the waist. "Easy Foster," he mumbled.

Sophie blinked back tears. "How?" It was barely a whisper, but in the eerily quiet room, it sounded like a roar.

Agent Granite took a deep breath. "His apartment exploded when he was inside," he rasped. "We investigated and found out that it was a chemical reaction. Clearly a murder, but the police ruled it a gas leak."

Keefe's arm tightened around her waist as he tensed uneasily.

Biana shook her head. "Kenric?!? Why?!?" She began brawling.

Everyone else stared at the Collective in shock.

Some started crying.

But not Sophie.

She was numb.

"What about Oralie and Cecile?" She asked.

"Oralie passed out of shock when she found out the news," Agent Forkle drew in a shaky breath. "She's in one of our medical facilities now... Cecile is... Still processing... She doesn't understand what's happened, but she knows Oralie is upset."

Sophie blinked.

Kenric had always been like a father to her.

He'd been the first to volunteer to adopt her when she first joined the Black Swan.

But the Black Swan had a strict policy that you had to be married to adopt a kid, and he wasn't even dating anyone at that time.

Kenric treated her like a daughter. Even trusted her so much that Sophie had helped him gather up his courage to confess to his childhood friend, Oralie.

Sophie was 6 when they begun dating.

She was 11 when they got married.

Twelve when they had their daughter, Cecile.

Cecile was only three. But her father was dead.

"Why would anyone do that?" Sophie whispered, her voice shaking. "Kenric had never been one of our frontline agents. They wouldn't have any grudge against him."

It was obvious that her 'they' referred to the Neverseen.

She glanced at Keefe. His face was pale.

Sophie bit her lip and held his free hand to show that she didn't blame him. He took it gratefully.

"We believe it's because Kenric was one of our most essential spies. Though not frontline, his death could make us more vulnerable," Agent Forkle dried his eyes with the back of his cloak's sleeve.