Chapter 9

A/N: Me back, and me alive, people! 

*cue my cringing for my horrible A/N's beginning*

Anyways, yup, I'm alive, and I'm back, hehehe...

Sorry for not updating that punctually recently, I was busy studying for the first round of examinations, then actually taking them, and now I'm studying for the second round which happens in May! 

I'm so excited!! (no I'm not)

Alright, alright, I'll shut up and get on with the story.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

Sophie

6 days. 

That was how long Sophie had been stuck in the Neverseen's miserable cell.

It had come to the point that she had to threaten Brant and force him to torture her. Too late, Sophie realised, they could have come up with a less painful method of fooling the Neverseen.

Despite Brant's assurances, they both knew that some of the scars were there to stay. 

She was so weak, she could barely move. Breathing was a challenge. 

Sophie was dehydrated. She'd barely eaten or drank anything for the past almost a week. The only food and water she got, was from Brant, who'd snuck some in for her. But even that was barely enough.

With that and the probably starting to get infected wounds she had, keeping her eyes open was a struggle.

A soft jangle of keys broke Sophie out of her haze. 

Brant stepped in and quickly closed the door behind him.

"I have good news," he said, bringing a bottle of water up to her lips. Sophie gladly gulped in as much as she could. "I may, or may not have sent an anonymous letter to the Black Swan."

She nearly choked. "What?" She hated how hoarse she sounded.

Brant nodded. A guilty expression on his face. "I can't just leave you like this. I told them to break in for a rescue tonight. I'll send the guards off somewhere, and put the blame on them for your escape."

Sophie shook her head. "Really bad idea. You'll get caught."

"Better than standing by and watching you suffer."

"What makes you so sure that they got your note? And that they're actually coming tonight?"

"Pfft, I'm not dumb, Sophie. I sent pigeon mail. Literally. And my pigeon came back with another note."

He held out a small piece of paper for her to see. It was barely the size of half her palm. Yet, Agent Forkle's messy cursive handwriting was as clear as day. 

We'll be there.

"Tonight," said Brant. His eyes held determination Sophie had never seen before. She had no doubt that this was the person whom Jolie had loved so dearly.

"Tonight," she repeated.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

Keefe

6 days.

Yet, they hadn't received any word from the Collective.

Every hour spent worrying and thinking about how Sophie might have been was about to drive him nuts. Scratch that, he was already going nuts.