Chapter 13

A/N: No A/N :))

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

Keefe

The next six hours were the longest of Keefe's life.

He didn't care that he was covered in Sophie's blood, didn't even bother to go wash up or rest despite everyone's urges.

An hour into the surgery, and he was cursing. At Fintan, at his mom, at the whole Neverseen and at himself.

At the second hour, everyone else had arrived, taken a look at the blood covering him, then freaked out.

The third hour, he was pacing.

Fourth hour, they had to call another physician named Elwin in.

Fifth hour he was ready to start grovelling at the Forklenator's feet to let him go murder Fintan.

The final hour, the two physicians came out covered in blood.

Then took one look at him, and Physic said, and he quoted, "I'll let you in to see her, provided you get your pathetic ass cleaned up. We can't afford to get her wound infected."

That meant Sophie was alive then.

So Keefe gladly obliged. And he couldn't clean up fast enough.

Physic glanced at him, her blue eyes softening. "She's fine. We're lucky it missed all her vital organs, but she lost a lot of blood, and I'm having her sedated for at least a week."

He swallowed, but nodded.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

Sophie's breathing was shallow enough that they needed a machine to monitor it.

That wasn't a good sign, seeing as the Black Swan hated using anything unnatural when it came to medical stuff.

But she was alive.

Unconscious, but alive.

She was pale, her hand cold when he held it.

"I'm sorry, Foster," Keefe whispered, kissing her knuckles.

He ran a thumb down her face from between her eyes to her lips.

He brushed away a strand of hair from her eyes. "I swear on my life. I won't let you get hurt again."

So he stayed by her bedside, leaving only when he was dragged out of the room.

And then, only then, when Sophie's eyes fluttered. Just once, a little more than week later, did he actually smile.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

10 days later...

"I'm not immobile," Sophie scowled.

"You're wounded and on bedrest, so be good," Keefe chided.

"You're overprotective."

"That's what I do. You've been out for almost two weeks, can you blame me?"

Sophie groaned, and leaned backwards. Then sucked in a sharp breath when her hand shot to her abdomen, which was still covered in bandages.

She winced tightly.

"Idiot," Keefe hissed, taking her other hand. "I told you not to move."

"You win," she threw a him a lazy smile. "For now."

"You never accept defeat, do you?"

"Hey, I've experienced worse, you know."

"Much, much worse, I bet," Keefe rolled his eyes. "Have you always been this stubborn?"