Chapter 21

A/N: Hii!! I'm back!! So sorry for the long wait! But I'm back now, and will be entertaining you again XD.

This chapter is dedicated to ChickChick314159. (Okay, I got this chapter out, please don't hate me...)

I'm soooo sorry that this took so long, I actually prewritten this some time ago, I just wanted to publish it with the rest of the book, but I currently have writer's block, so the epilogue is taking some time... Please be patient!! I'm juggling doing multiple things at the moment, my most sincere apologises...

Please cherish this chapter, it's literally the last chapter if you don't count the Epilogue. :))

(Btw, CATCH THE TOG REFERENCE!!)

~

Sophie

Keefe had been in coma for nearly two months. Twice the number of time she had given him.

Any day now, he would awaken, said Physic. Said anyone who tried to comfort her.

His condition was steady, that was all she knew. His wound had long since healed, it was just the Plague making its way out of his system.

Sophie had been sitting by his side for hours that day. She rarely left his room nowadays apart from to eat, to relieve herself and the occasional walk, shower or meeting, in fear of him waking up without her beside him.

She sighed, standing up and stretching, groaning against the dull ache in her knees.

She started towards the door, desperately needing a walk and an escape from the same four walls she'd been seeing for the past fifty-eight days, six hours, three minutes and about twelve seconds.

But her head whipped back, when she caught something out of the corner of her eye. She could have sworn she saw him move.

~

Keefe

He had been trapped in the darkness for too long.

And he was bored.

Across the days, perhaps weeks or months or maybe even years, he'd gleaned almost enough about himself.

Well, at least discovered that his name was Keefe. And he knew that the darkness he was in was his subconscoious, meaning that he was unconscious.

He'd tried to wake up plenty of times before, but had failed, not having enough energy to do so.

Somehow, one way or another, he did that day.

~

Sophie

Sophie merely stared. Stared, as his eyes fluttered open, and those beautiful ice blue eyes blinked at her.

Those eyes that she'd dreamed of seeing again.

And it was those eyes and stared right back at her with intense clarity in them.

Her knees threatened to give way, and she had to clench her jaw to keep from shaking.

"... Keefe?" She asked cautiously. Physic had warned that because the Plague infected all of the major organs of the human body, there was a chance that his brain had been attacked, and that he had lost his memories.

He blinked again, and managed a soft, "Yeah."

A sob escaped her lips, and her knees buckled, and she ended up kneeling by his bedside, her forehead pressed to the bed and her shoulders shaking as she wept.

The pent up emotions in her chest suddenly all spilled out, the tears streaming down her cheeks their only release.

Slowly, he reached over a hand and stroked her hair. That hand was shaking. "I'm sorry," he murmured. "I'm so sorry."

She raised her head and looked at him, scanning every inch of his face, dreading the confusion and lack of recognision that she would see there.

Only it wasn't there. Pain and exhausion filled his face, perhaps, but he remembered.

Her chest loosened. "Why?" She let out, asking the same question that she had when he had been unconscious. "Why the hell did you take that arrow for me??"

He opened and closed his mouth, as if not sure what to say. Then he said, "I love you. And I couldn't let her hurt anyone else. Least of all you. I'd rather it be me."

He gave a faint smirk, the Keefe-ness returning as a glint in his eyes.

Sophie's nostrils flared as tears swam once again in her eyes. "You're a damned idiot," she choked.

He sat up, with no absence of pain, but at least he was awake. He cupped her cheek and ran his thumb over her cheekbone. "Damn me all you like," he breathed. "Damn me to hell if it means it makes you happy. If it keeps you alive."

She sobbed into his palm. "Don't. Don't do it again."

"Well I'll try not to. Keyword: try."

She was too fractured to bother getting mad.

Keefe smiled. And for once, Sophie felt like everything in the world would be alright again.

Because even though the Lodestar and the Moonlark were each other's only weakness... They were also the other's greatest strength.

~

A/N: Sorry for the short chapter, but heyyyy, we're done with the official chapters!!!

QOTC (not related): What are your feelings now that this book is close to ending??

I know, I know, it sucked, but I've run out of QOTCs...

Word count: I have officially, permanently given up on stating word counts, oop--

~Alison_5201314

;))