Chapter 4

The next morning, Natasha woke up at 6 to get ready for work. It was Thursday and the end of the week was almost here. She could hear the train running and the low hum of traffic down below. Bruce laid on the right side of her, sound asleep after his drunken state last night, Nat knew he wouldn't be waking up anytime soon. Rolling her eyes, she climbed out of bed and focused on her morning routine. Brush, floss, shower, dress. She got dressed for work throwing on a blue polyester top with a V-cut, dark colored skinny jeans, and ankle high booties. She glanced at the time on the clock blinking red: 6:50. Her and Steve were to meet at 7 but the last thing she wanted was Steve to come to her door. She quickly put on her brown pea coat and left her silent apartment. Her thoughts flooded with Steve and she felt butterflies in her stomach. Nat knew that her and Steve were just beginning to know each other and of course she was in a committed relationship, no matter how damaged it was, but she couldn't help feel an attraction. He was easy on the eyes, with muscles that bulged through his suit. His blonde hair was always combed and neat, most likely due to his job. She had never paid much attention to him before. She had seen him on the train a few times, but he was just a regular good looking guy and she didn't really have the energy to make new friends, especially not guy friends. Her thoughts carried her to his door where she knocked and waited. Soon after, he was standing with an unbuttoned white shirt and navy blue slacks, that left little to the imagination.

"Hey Natasha." He said with a smile.

"Morning Steve." She replied with an equal one.

"Sorry, I thought we were meeting downstairs. I'm not fully ready yet. I just have to throw on my jacket. You can come in." He said opening the door wider and stepping inside.

Nat was hesitant, she quickly glanced at her own door before turning back to Steve with a soft smile. "Its alright, I know I'm a little early." She said as she crossed the threshold. Truth be told, she wanted to see him sooner and took the chance of knocking on his door, especially since Bruce was sleep. His apartment was cozy. Everything was neat and orderly. His apartment was almost an exact replica of hers but it looked like there could be an extra bedroom across from his. The walls were a light nude color and their was mahogany hardwood flooring. He had a glass coffee table in between his 45" TV and his couch. A few art pieces hung on the wall and one in particular caught her eye. A mid sized painting hanging above his red cushioned couch. It was a woman's face half hidden by light and her head down slightly turned as if looking out the side of her eye. Her eyes seemed to be dark filled with emotion and depth.

"I'll be right back." Steve called out as he walked back towards his room.

She just mumbled an ok and focused back on the artwork. It was beautiful. She could see herself in it. Darkness. All she could say was "Wow" as she walked up to it and stared at it more intently. She had always been a lover of paintings. Her mother used to take her every Sunday to the little galleries in their hometown in Russia. It was one of the fond memories that Natasha still had of her mom.

Steve walked out of his room with his blazer on and tie around his neck. He paused as he  walked into his living room. He saw her standing there staring intently at his art. It was his favorite piece in his house and one of his favorites to make. He could see how much she enjoyed looking at it and it made him want to know her even more. What did she see? He walked up beside her and stood with her looking at it.

"This is one of my favorite pieces." He said causing her to whip her head around in surprise. She had been so engrossed in her own mind that she didn't hear him.

"Yea..uh..Its ..It's beautiful." Her eyes falling back on the painting. "Where did you get it?"

"I created it." He said looking down at her.