Chapter 10

Nat looked herself up and down in the mirror once more before she left. She wore a champagne colored dress that glittered in the light. Her beige heels showed her beautifully painted white toes. She kept her makeup light with only a deep red painted on her full lips. Nat's red tresses cascaded over her shoulders, framing her face. She smiled slightly at the thought of Steve seeing her in the clad tight dress. It showed just enough skin to entice any man, but not enough to be called a tramp.

"You're leaving for that art thing?" Bruce asked walking through her bedroom door.

"Yea. You sure you don't want to come?" She asked again making sure he knew he had a choice.

"I already said no. You know i don't like stuff like that." He said waving her off.

Nat bit her lip to stop herself from saying something smart. It was going on 8:30 and Steve's event started at 7. She hadn't intended on being late but she had Bruce-things to deal with. Nat grabbed her clutch and walked pass the horrid waste of space.

"Aye aye, don't forget to give me my goodbye kiss." He said tugging at the hem of her dress to stop her from walking. Nat forced herself not to roll her eyes and appeased him with a quick peck on the lips.

"Good girl" ugh she hated that phrase. Apparently, he picked it up during the two weeks they split because it's always good girl this and good girl that.

"I'll see you later." Nat said walking to the main door.

"Don't wake me when you come in. I know how you get with all these art shows."

"No problem." She shut the door without a glance back. Finally, she was out and her nerves were back to being on edge. As she rode down the elevator, her fingers tapped restlessly on her thigh to self soothe. It was a habit that she really tried to break it but sometimes her anxiety got the best of her. She prayed Steve wouldn't mind her coming. She knew she was a jerk for not answering his calls or texts but she just hoped he'd at least let her enjoy the event without kicking her out.

___________________________________________________________________________

Steve talked to the guests and patrons who came out to support him for his big night. This was two years in the making and he finally did it. He had a total of 30 pieces in the collection. He was extremely proud of the turn out. There were at least 250 people in the small upper Brooklyn gallery. A small line formed outside of people who were eagerly waiting to get a viewing of the latest work by him. Though he wasn't Van Gough, he had made a name for himself in the underground art scene and with the many connections he had, word spread quickly about his talent. Steve was currently in the middle of a conversation when he caught a glimpse of red. His eyes moved around the room as the older gentleman talked to him.

"You really are quite talented. I'm glad to see you worked on your craft since I last saw you." The short balding man said.

"Yea well I'm passionate about it. Thanks for coming out. I appreciate it." He said on autopilot.

"You're welcome. Now if you'll excuse me, I see some pork stuffers calling my name." The man tapped Steves shoulder before running after the waiter.

Steve chuckled and saw the red once again. He whipped his head and his eyes were met with the beautiful redhead. His gaze followed her body from head to toe. Her curves showed perfectly through the gold ensemble. She was absolutely breathtaking, his breath hitched as his eyes followed her around the room. Slowly, he walked with her from piece to piece. His eyes trailing until she stopped at his final artwork. It was the one part of his collection that he was able to finish with in a days work and for an artist that's saying something. He could see her look at the art and cock her head to the side to understand it better. A few bystanders saw the beauty of it and did a double take between her and the portrait. She took two steps forward and Nat couldn't believe her eyes. Was it her? Was she the woman from the artwork? Is that how he really viewed her? That beautiful and put together? She stood there for two minutes before she felt his presence beside her.