Chapter 19

Steve's nerves were all over the place, it had been a month since he found out that Nat was pregnant and four since he knew he was going to propose.

"Just relax Steve. You know Tasha loves you and of course she's going to say yes." Clint, Sam and Maria were trying to reassure him. He had not only asked Maria and Clint's blessing because they were the closest thing to family Nat had but because he also wanted their help, along with Sams. Over the last three months, they had been planning this beautiful proposal hoping that it would be perfect.

"I know. I'm just freaking out. I want everything to go perfectly. You know her better than anyone. She's gonna appreciate anything." Maria said.

"Ok you guys, I appreciate it. I'm going to get her now."

"Alright knock her dead Dad!" Clint said enthusiastically. He was happy for the two of them. Nat deserved it and he felt Steve was the perfect match for her. Both knew about the pregnancy, they spilled the beans one morning in Hawkeye's Cafe when Steve's overprotectiveness spilled over on whether or not coffee was good for the baby, neither realizing that they had gotten a tad louder than expected. Of course, since Clint knew, Nat had to tell Maria to keep things level and since they knew, Steve told Sam.

"Thanks you guys for your help."

"No problem." They all chimed through the phone.

Steve hung up and took the elevator to the apartment. He told Nat to be ready by 7 and he was on time as usual. He walked into their apartment with a bouquet of white roses.

"Nat, baby, I'm home."

"Coming." She yelled.

She walked out of their bedroom looking ravishing. Her hair was curled, cascading over her shoulders with a beautiful emerald necklace hanging at her neck. Her black dress showing off the extra curves that she now had. Her stomach wasn't showing yet but she had gained just enough for Steve to do a double take. Nat greeted him with a huge smile and an awe as she looked at the roses in his hands.

"They're beautiful Steve."

"Not as beautiful as you."

"Always the charmer." She replied kissing him. She put the flowers in a vase nearby with water before turning to her boyfriend and letting him lead her out.

"Whats on the agenda tonight?"

"Just us with food, the stars music, a dance or two."

"Sounds lovely."

Nat held his hand as they stepped into the waiting black car. Her surprise evident.

"Is there a special occasion I don't know about?"

"No, I just want my girlfriend and mother of child to have the most comfortable ride possible. You deserve the world Nat." Her words fell on the tips of lips as she kissed him. She was incredibly happy to be in his arms day in and out. There was never a dull moment between the two. The ride was 45 minutes but between the kissing and touching, it felt like 15. The driver opened the door for them and Steve held out his hand for her to take.

Nat stepped onto the sidewalk, blocking out the sounds of honking horns and passerby conversations. In front of her was the Empire State building. She had always walked by but never actually been inside.

"Come on." He walked her over to the entrance where he called out to a man named Thor.

"Aye Steve, yes. Right this way." Nat didn't say anything just glanced at Steve smiling as she realized what was happening.

Thor led the two to the top of the building where they reached the rooftop. It was beautiful. Lights lit up the night and there was a table for two with a candle in the middle. A group of classical musicians played softly off to the side.