Chapter 6

Nat dusted her hands to clear off the grime from the incinerator door when when she heard the elevator and saw Steve step out. Her heartbeat pulsed faster as she watched him go to his door. It had been a couple days since he gave her, her mail. The bruises that were on her face had now turned green/yellow now. Her face was currently covered in make-up to hide it, just like she had the last two days. She'd last seen him at the coffee shop yesterday. They never discussed the other night and neither planned on bringing it up. Their morning coffee runs were more frequent now and she enjoyed them. They had learned so much about each other, she felt like she had truly gained a new friend. Her eyes trailed over his body. His chiseled chest soaked with sweat as his white tank top clung to him. His grey shorts left her biting her lip and thinking thoughts that weren't too pure.

"Steve" She called out.

His pink lips curling into a smile as he saw her approach. She had looked like her normal self again. "Hey Nat. How are you?" He opened his arms to envelope her in a hug, a new act that she had to get used to, but expects more now than ever.

"I'm good. I have something for you actually." She pulled back.

"Is that so? What is it?" He smirked.

"Something you'll appreciate very much." She said as she walked towards her apartment. "I'll grab it and bring it to you."

"You mind bringing it in about 20? I want to hop in the shower real quick."

"Yea that's fine." She said stealing one more glance at his body, which didn't go unnoticed by Steve.

He went inside and got in the shower after texting Tony that he'd meet him in 40. They were going to a little bar down the block to catch up. The last time they saw each other was at the gala and haven't had a real sit down since Steve moved back into town. It would be nice to see his childhood friend again. 15 minutes later, his bathroom was filled with the smell of Irish spring. He quickly dried off and slid on his Calvin Klein briefs. He heard a soft knock on his door and hurried to put on his black sweatpants. He opened the door and Nat stood there with a small grin and her hands behind her back.

"Hey." Steve smiled looking down at her.

"Um.. Hey. I uh..I brought your um ..your mail." Nat stumbled over her words as a shirtless Steve stood in front of her. She couldn't think straight with his abs staring right at her face. His chiseled body was enough to turn her into mush.

"Thank you. Was this my surprise?" He asked leaning against his door frame, laughing.

"As a matter of fact it was. Figured it'd be a special thoughtful gift." Her eyes focusing on his eyes rather than his pecks.

"Oooo so we've reached the gift giving status. I guess I'll have to find something to top this then." He reached out grabbing the two pieces of mail from her hands.

"Yea I'm sure you can." She chuckled rolling her eyes, but something caught her eye as she looked past him into his apartment. Her expression changed from laughter to confusion.

"Oh my gosh, what happened?" She asked as she stepped closer to look.

"What?" He looked back moving out of her way to let her enter.

"To the painting," she gestured crossing over the threshold. "It's broken. What happened to it?" Turning to look him in his eyes.

Rubbing his neck and looking away, he answered. "Oh...nothing just the neighbors." He stole a glance at her and watched the realization hit her.

"What?..Oh...umm.. ok, I uh I should go." Nat took a step back and turned around to leave his apartment.

"Alright Nat.. Have a good afternoon." He said softly feeling bad.