Chapter 17

"Come on old man, can't keep up?" Nat yelled back as she ran ahead of Steve.

"Oh I can, I just enjoy the view I'm getting." He teased.

This had been their normal morning. Soon after they made it official, Steve started inviting Nat on his morning runs which she actually enjoyed a lot more than she thought. After five months of running, she was able to keep up with her counterpart, barely stopping.

Nat shook her head at his antics and continued to run until her lungs felt like they were on fire. She stopped, gasping for air. As she bent over with her hands on her knees, Steve ran past her. "Who's the old one now?" He kept going until he reached the bars 40 feet ahead of them.  Nat couldn't even respond too busy focusing on trying to catch her breath. After a couple minutes, she straightened up and met him at the railing. The Hudson was beautiful at this hour, with the sun reflecting across the ripples, it was a nice sight.

"You're still the old man." She said standing beside him.

"As long as I can keep up, thats all that matters."

"I guess we'll see about that" and just like that, Nat took off running back to their building. She maintained her speed, determined not to stop like moments before. Her feet hit the ground and she felt exhilarated. The building was finally in view and she knew that Steve was probably close behind, but rule #1 of racing, is to never look back. She learned that after their first race. Nat was just about to hit the building doors when she felt two strong arms wrap around her waist and swing her up.

"AH" She yelped. Steve's laugh radiating through her body. "Put me down." She said in between laughter.

"Nope, it is my duty to carry you the rest of the way."

Nat kept laughing until her feet were firmly planted on the ground.

"You only did that because you knew I was gonna reach the building before you." She declared crossing her arms.

"Whatever you say Nat." He smirked. They took the steps up, ignoring the soreness of their legs.

"Meet you in 30?" She asked.

"Of course." Steve kissed her chastely on her floor before continuing the flight to his floor.

They both wore kool aid grins and got ready for their day.

Nat entered her apartment and felt like she was on cloud now. She had her smoothie pre-prepped. Grabbing it out the fridge, she downed the strawberry banana drink before hopping in the shower. Her voice sang out as the warm water trickled down her back. Today was a big day for her, she was getting her little kitten. She had been talking to Steve about it for a while and she finally found one that she loved. He was a small black cat with one green eye and one blue one. The perfect mix of her and Steve. They were going to pick up a few things for him before going to the shelter and getting him. Nat was going to leave work and meet Steve at the office since the shelter was a 10 minute walk from his job.

After her shower, she got ready in a pair of jeans, booties and a thick sweater. Fall was in full swing now and she did not want to deal with getting sick anytime soon. Nat left her apartment and saw Steve stepping off the elevator, on time as usual. He noticed her and quickly stepped back to save the elevator. Nat got on and the two talked about the day.

"So I'll meet you around 5?"

"Yea that's good. I might still be wrapping up a few things but you can just wait on the little sofa in my office."

"Ok boss."

They stopped for their usual coffee. Nat opting for a hot coffee opposed to her normal iced one due to the weather change. Steve went for the large black mocha flavored coffee with a bagel. They chatted through the streets and on the train like normal before parting. With a quick kiss, Nat got off and Steve watched as she walked away.