childhood sports memories

"Attention everyone, I have an announcement to make."

We all picked our heads up to listen to what JJ had to say.

"As some of you know, Henry was a little nervous about trick-or-treating this year. Now, he has decided to go."

"Great, what changed his mind?" Rossi asked.

"The BAU did. I told him to go out and determine which monsters are real and which are fake.

"So he wants to be a profiler?"

"Ah, he wants to be his favorite profiler."

Out walked little Henry LaMontagne in a get-up that accurately represented his uncle Spencer. His outfit was perfect. From the cardigan and satchel to the mismatched socks under his converse shoes. He was the spitting image of his godfather.

Spencer looked so excited to see Henry's outfit. He kneeled down to his level and gave him a hug, complementing him on his outfit. He took off his ID badge and clipped it to Henry's bag. It was an adorable sight to see.

Once the small boy left to go get candy, I ran my hand across Spencer's back. "There will be more cute kids if you finish working and we can get your cute little butt home. Delilah is probably patiently waiting to eat tons of candy with you."

He chuckled and quickly packed up his things so we could get home. Once we got there, he was quick to put on Delilah's costume. She was dressed as a cute little witch. Spencer wanted to put her in something more nerdy and sci-fi, but I told him to hold off until she was older and could pick what she wanted.

He paraded her around the whole block as they got candy. Halloween was a favorite in the Reid household and now that he had me and Delilah to spend it with, I think he loves it even more. Once she had a bucket full, we made our way back home and ate some of her candy until she dozed off.

While Spencer was putting her to sleep, I got a call from an unknown number. Figuring it was something work related, I answered casually.

"Agent Reid speaking."

"... Ariel?"

That voice. The second I heard it, I froze. My hands started to shake and my breathing started to pick up. I quickly hung up the phone, not wanting to talk to the person on the other line. I dropped my phone on the table and backed away. I didn't realize how long I had been standing there drowning in my own thoughts.

She hasn't tried to contact me in over 10 years, why now?

Spencer walked in and noticed my shocked state. He was at my side in a second, wrapping his hands around mine. "Ariel, what's wrong?"

"She- she called," I stuttered out.

"Who? Who called Ariel?"

"My mom."

His face softened and he pulled me into his chest, lightly stroking my hair. I gripped him a little tighter, thankful that I could fight off the tears I could feel coming up.

"I'm sorry, baby. Did you talk to her?"

"I hung up. I thought they were out of my life. What could she possibly want?"

"I don't know. But let's get to bed. Hopefully she'll stop calling you."

Even though it took a while, I eventually fell asleep. Hearing from your mother is supposed to be a good thing. Growing up, everyone around me had nice mothers and it was always the dads that were the problem, if there was one. But not me. I hated my mother growing up. She was the problem and my dad was the kind and caring one. It had taken me so long to get over what her and my step-dad did to me. I wanted her to not be apart of Spencer or Delilah's life at all. I just hope she isn't trying to worm her way in now.