recovery

Checking out of the hospital was one of the sweetest senses of relief I'd ever felt. 

They kept me for a few days to make sure I was doing okay. I had healed up pretty well, my speech got a bit better and my range of motion was coming back. I still needed to walk with a cane for a while, though. Which caused Spencer to go out and get me the most beautiful one he could find.

Spencer was by my side practically every minute he could be. I had a feeling that he wouldn't let me out of his sights for a while, which I completely understood. Spencer's family meant everything to him and he always wants to keep them safe. This incident probably had him doubting himself, which pushed him to be a bit over-protective. 

I took a nice deep breath once Spence rolled me out of the hospital doors. It had been over a month since I've left this place and I was reveling in the feeling of the wind on my face. 

Once we made it home, Delilah was already asking a million questions and wanting to spend time with me. Since there wasn't much I could do physically yet, we settled on a movie and made a little pillow fort in the living room. I was overwhelmed with joy as I was snuggled up with my two favorite people in the world. Delilah had fallen asleep in my arms, but my hands kept brushing through her hair. I didn't even notice I had started to cry until I felt Spencer's hand come up to my face to wipe them away.

He pulled me a bit closer and placed a kiss to the side of my head. "I'm so sorry, love," he whimpered out. "This is all my fault and I should have found you sooner and-"

I cut him off by bringing my lips to his. The action seemed to calm him down slightly. "Spence, this isn't your fault.  And we're gonna be okay. Just know that you couldn't have prevented this."

I knew that I would spend the rest of my life reassuring him of that fact if I had to. He would still be blaming himself for a while and all I could do is just be there for him.

I still had some time off of work, so I planned on using it to the best of my abilities. I spent my days playing with Delilah, doing puzzles to keep my brain thinking, spending hours cuddled up with Spencer in bed.

He had to go back a few days before I did, which led to him calling me every moment of the day that he was available. Whether it was to see if I had eaten, taken my medication, tried moving around the house, any little thing he could think of. It was sweet to see how much he cared. Thankfully, the calls weren't as bad as when I was still on maternity leave. He called practically every 20 minutes to see if Delilah and I were okay. He always had such a big heart and cared about other people's well-being, which was a trait I loved in him.

While my recovery was going well, not all of it was easy. I was still having troubles with the cravings. It had been years since I've had those feelings resurface. Now that I was introduced to those drugs again, it was like all of my progress disappeared. Even though I knew that there wasn't a drop of the stuff anywhere in the house, I was still worried I would do something. So after I put Delilah down for a nap, I called Spencer, hoping that he wasn't busy.

"Hey, love. I'm just about to go on lunch break, what's up?"

Thank god, it was a good time.

"I'm, um... I want to take it. And I'm scared."

"Okay, okay sweetie. What can I do to help?"

"I don't know." My breathing started to pick up and my grip grew tighter around my cane.

"Hey, can you breathe for me? Remember those exercises? In for five, out for seven. Can you do that?"

I started doing the exercise. It helped slightly, but not a lot.