it's been a long, long time

tw: mentions of abuse and sexual assault

She now resorted to texts.

Every once in a while, I would get a notification from her asking if we could talk. I ignored every single message, not even bothering to listen to some of the voicemails she left. I don't know why I didn't just block her. It was like some invisible force was stopping me. Thankfully, she wasn't trying to communicate as much while I was on a case.

Well, not until today.

We were in Seattle, trying to solve murders that all revolved around an inspirational speaker. It was like every five minutes, she tried to send a text or make a call. I was in the precinct with JJ and Rossi, bouncing around ideas. My phone kept going off, notification after notification. My coworkers were confused and I was starting to get pissed. I grabbed my phone and silenced it before tossing it onto the table aggressively and stormed out of the precinct.

The fresh air felt nice, but it still didn't calm me down completely. I found a bench and sat down, putting my head in my hands with my elbows resting on my knees. If only Spencer was here, he'd be able to make me feel better.

I heard the door open and a person sat down next to me. "You wanna talk about it?" JJ asked calmly. I picked my head up and met her gaze, feeling the tears start to well in my eyes.

"My mom keeps trying to get in touch with me. I don't know why I just don't block her, it would make my life so much easier. But I guess a part of me wants to see what she has to say."

It was silent for a moment before JJ spoke up. "You don't have to tell me what happened between you two, that's your business. But how long has it been since you've spoken to her?"

"Since I was eighteen. I've wanted nothing to do with her or her husband for a long time. I was planning on never having to see or speak to them ever again."

She pulled me into a side hug before she continued. "Maybe just keep her on silent for the rest of the case. Then when you're home and have a clearer head, you can make your judgement on if you want to contact her or not. But whatever you decide, I'm here for you. We all are."

"Thanks JJ." We made our way back into the precinct, Rossi giving me a smile before we continued talking about the case.

We eventually caught the guy and were heading back home. I finally checked my messages when we were on the jet. I had 12 missed calls and over 30 unread texts. They all said similar things. Repeating my name and begging me to pick up. But the last text caught my mind.

I'm in Quantico for a while. Could we please meet up somewhere? Just for coffee or something?

How the hell did she know I was in Quantico? My dad and I cut off all contact from her when I was eighteen and only told our close family and friends we moved out here so I could go to the academy. How did she find me?

"You okay?" Spencer asked worriedly, pulling me from my thoughts. I sighed and showed him the text from my mom. His brows furrowed and he looked concerned. "Why is she here?"

"I don't know. I didn't think she knew where we went when we left Chicago. What should I do?"

"That's your decision. But I'm going to be by your side, okay? Just know they can't hurt you anymore, not as long as I'm around."

I bit my lip as I mulled over my decision. I knew she would just be even more persistent with her calls and texts. A part of me also just wants to see what became of her and her douche-bag husband. I quickly sent her my response.

I'm a tea person, but I'll meet with you later this week as long as I don't have a case. Friday, Starbucks on 7th, 8 am? 

I set my phone down and reached for Spencer's hand. "I'm gonna meet her Friday morning." He sent me a sympathetic smile and gave my hand a squeeze. "Let's hope for a case." My phone buzzed and I checked to see her response.