sharon

Whenever Spencer gets off the phone with an unhappy look on his face, you know things aren't going to go well.

I was currently on the living room floor with Delilah, playing an intense game of Chutes and Ladders. Spencer walked into the room and plopped down on the couch with a hint of frustration in his eyes.

"Who was that, Spence?"

"Someone from the women's correctional facility."

I halted my actions and turned my body towards him, now concerned at what this phone call entailed.

"Your presence has been requested for tomorrow at nine. Some detectives are trying to get a full story from your mom, but the only way she'll talk is if you're there."

My expression must have faltered quite a bit because Spencer was at my side and pulling me into his embrace in an instant. No tears were coming out, I just felt completely numb. Delilah noticed our sad expressions and made her way into the hug, trying her best to comfort us both. 

"It's okay, mommy. I try 'n make you feel better with hugs."

I squeezed her a bit closer, placing a long kiss on her head. "Thank you so much, baby." We stayed in that position for a while. Delilah's hugs did help make me feel better and pretty soon, we were giggling and smiling at each other like nothing bad was happening in the world around us.

After we had lunch and I set Delilah down for her nap, I found Spencer so we could talk more about this visit.

"You don't have to go if you don't feel comfortable."

"I want to. I want to hear what she has to say and understand why she did it. Will you be there?"

"Of course. I'm not letting you go through this alone."

So the next morning, we both made our way to the facility, my hand not daring to leave Spencer's. He wouldn't be allowed in the room with me, but knowing he's on the other side of the glass would be comforting enough. Once we made it to our destination, I took a moment to examine her before going into the interrogation room. It made me slightly angry to see that she looked perfectly fine. There wasn't a hint of anxiety or nervousness on her face and she looked like she's been getting decent sleep. She almost looked happy to be there.

I gave Spencer a quick hug and kiss before taking a deep breath and walking into the room, closing the door behind me. Her eyes lit up the second she saw me. "Ariel, so good to see you."

I just took my seat and didn't respond. She tried to reach her hand across the table, but the guard quickly shut her down. After a moment, I finally spoke up. "Why do I need to be here? You could've told your story perfectly fine to the detective without me, you're an adult."

"Well, I figured I wouldn't be leaving this place for a long time. I also figured you wouldn't come to visit me. So, I thought I'd kill two birds with one stone. The detectives can hear my side and I can explain myself to you."

"So what, you just want me to hear every detail of how you and your bastard husband almost killed me? Gee, I'm all ears."

She sat up more in her seat, a concerned look on her face. "I didn't know he was going to put you in a coma. If I had known, I would have stopped it."

"But you didn't care about everything else he did to me?"

She let out a sigh before she started to tell her story. "I guess I should start with why we came here. I had noticed that the restraining order had expired and that you didn't plan on refiling. So I did some digging. I wanted to see where you and your dad went to try and make amends. So I looked you up and I was shocked to see that you were in the FBI. You've been with the BAU for five years and I only found out a few months ago. But I felt so proud to read all of your journals and see what you've become. So I asked Cole about it and he agreed to move with me to Virginia."