those gorgeous eyes

Spencer's POV

I bit the bullet and decided to go back to work.

Ariel was still in her coma, but she was starting to improve. I almost backed out of going back. But after a heartfelt discussion with Brent, I decided I should go back for a while. We haven't had any cases, so I would typically head to the hospital after I finished my paperwork for the day. But today, we finally had a case. Before we could start the briefing, I pulled Garcia aside.

"I need a favor."

"Anything, what's up?"

"Since we have a case, I can't go to the hospital. Cheryl and Brent are busy, so they can't be there either. Ariel is showing signs of coming out and I don't want her to be alone. I don't know if she'll wake up while we are gone, but I just hate leaving her alone for so long."

"Of course, Reid."

I gave her a quick hug before we went to the roundtable and she started to brief us on the case. We were headed to Maryland where two daughters have gone missing a year after their mother disappeared as well. Listening to the 9-1-1 calls were a bit chilling, but I gave my input regardless. 

Of course I was a little nervous coming back. I was worried my emotions would get the better of me and I would let the team down. But everyone seemed to have confidence in my abilities. 

The case had been going fairly well. We were making headway and learning more about the family and our number one suspect, the father. I had only checked in with Garcia once, but nothing major seemed to be going on. She said that Ariel made some sort of noise, but nothing else happened afterwards. It put a smile on my face to hear that she was improving. I just hoped I wouldn't have to wait too much longer to see her awake again.

I was at the station with Morgan and Blake when Garcia called my cell. Assuming she had some new findings about the case, I put her on speaker.

"Hey, Garcia. Blake and Morgan are here, too. What's up?"

There was silence for a moment. The three of us looked at each other, a little confused as to what was going on. But then we heard it. A scratchy and meek voice. The words slightly slurred together. But the voice that came through caught my breath and caused my whole body to freeze.

"Hey, Spence."

Ariel's POV

My head was pounding. That was the only thing I could seem to concentrate on at the moment. But I was tired of being asleep, so I tried to will my eyes to open. It was a struggle, but I was soon able to blink and move my eyes around the room. I tried turning my head to see who was beside me. Moving was a lot harder than I seemed to remember.

In the chair next to my bed, I noticed the lovely figure that was Penelope Garcia. She must have heard my movements, because she quickly turned her head and her mouth dropped open in shock. "Oh my god, you're awake!" 

She jumped out of her chair to hug me. It was a little too tight and I let out a groan of slight pain. She immediately stepped away. "Oh, I'm sorry. I'm going to get a nurse, I'll be right back. It is so good to see those gorgeous eyes of yours!" I smiled at her as she rushed into the hall and pulled a nurse into the room. I assumed she was the nurse that had been taking care of me.

"Hello, Ariel. I'm nurse Joy, maybe you remember hearing my voice. I'm just going to do a few tests with you to see how things are functioning. Could you do me a favor and try to sit up?"

I nodded and slowly tried to move myself. Everything felt sore. It took a while, but I managed to slowly sit myself up in the bed.

"That's good. Now can you try to say a few words for me? Maybe start out by introducing yourself."