for his sake

I've felt a little off ever since meeting with my mother, and I think the whole team could notice.

I had been quiet, distant, and a bit moody. When I was home with Spencer and Delilah, I was a little more talkative and happy. Taking care of those two always seemed to lessen any pain I was going through. 

Spencer and I were watching a movie when the phone rang, signaling that we had a case. I got up to get Delilah ready to go to my dad's, but I froze in the doorway to her room. It was like my body was telling me to not send her away, to not go on this case, to just crumble up in a ball and cry about my problems.

Spencer stood behind me and rested his hands on my hips. "You don't have to go," he spoke softly. "I can tell the team you're not feeling well and you can stay home with her."

I shook my head, turning around to face Spencer. His hands temporarily left my hips, only to place them back when my body was turned towards him. "No, I'll be okay."

"You sure?"

I chuckled, wrapping my arms around his neck. "Always worrying about me, aren't you?"

He placed a kiss on my forehead before tilting my head up to meet his gaze. "That's my job. I'll wake her up, you get our go-bags ready."

I nodded and went to grab our things before we made the trip to work. We gathered around the roundtable to talk about our latest case, which happened to be quite a doozy. People in Arizona being killed and dumped in wooden boxes. The photos looked pretty gruesome, the way their limbs were folded. It hurt to think about.

Once we got to Arizona, we hit the ground running. We discovered that this unsub was using people as puppets. But it wasn't all easy. I had accidentally snapped at an officer and wasn't speaking much to the rest of the team. Spencer looked extremely worried about my behavior, but we didn't have the time to sit down and talk it out. 

I made my way to an empty room, hoping to clear my head and calm myself down a bit. I heard footsteps enter the room and I assumed it was Spencer. Who I didn't expect to find was Alex Blake. She sat down across from me, lightly tapping her fingers on the table.

"If you don't mind, I asked Spencer earlier what was going on with you. He explained that you had a rough meeting with your mom. I know that I'm new to the team and we don't know much about each other yet, but I want to help you out in any way I can."

I let out a deep sigh, contemplating if I wanted to talk to her. She's been so nice and is offering to help me out now, so why not?

"I didn't want that meeting to effect my work and my mental state, but it is. Knowing that she was hundreds of miles away was what gave me peace at night. Now that I know that she will be in the same state as me? It physically hurts. I don't know what to do."

She reached her hand out and offered for me to take it. I reached out and let out a shaky breath.

"Family is hard to deal with sometimes. There's always bad mixed in with the good. You have a beautiful and intelligent daughter at home. You have a loving husband out there who is always thinking and talking about you any chance he gets. So shut out the bad. You don't need that negativity in your life. Hold onto the good. And if you need help seeing the good in life, you've got a room of people out there who are willing to show it to you."

I nodded, a few tears leaving my eyes. I stood up and walked over to give her a hug. "Thank you, Blake."

"Anytime. Now, let's go catch a killer."

We eventually managed to catch our killer. The case was extremely unsettling, but I'm glad I powered through it. We were making a pit stop at the BAU to do some paperwork before we headed home. Making our way up to our floor, I stopped dead in my tracks right before the glass doors.