01

Alexa's Point of View

It was strange — going back to school. We had been gone for Christmas break and I was just starting to get used to it. And now, I have to go back.

I never really minded school though, I always got good grades and made the honor roll. Academic wise, I wasn't doing bad. However socially, I did not peak. I had a few friends here and there, but not any of those long lasting friends. Well, except for my best friend Hamzah.

"What are you so deep in thought about?" Hamzah asked bumping into my shoulder as we walked side by side.

"Huh?" I asked looking to my right, my eyes met with Hamzah's. "Oh nothing, it just sucks we have to go back. Right?"

Hamzah nodded, "Very much so," He said making me laugh, sometimes he talked in such a funny manner I just couldn't help myself.

Everyday, Hamzah and I walked to school together. He was my neighbor, growing up together made us really close.

"You ready?" Hamzah asked looking at me then looking straight ahead towards our high school.

"No," I said. "But does it even matter?"

Hamzah shook his head, "Nope."

He started walking towards the entrance so I had no choice but to follow him. After we scanned our school ID cards, we decided to head to the cafeteria. We still had twenty minutes left until first period.

We sat in our usual spots, my skin defrosting from the heat in the cafeteria. Hamzah was talking to me about something, but I wasn't paying attention really. I rested my head against my hands fighting the urge to fall sleep, why did school have to start to early anyways?

"You're not listening are you?" Hamzah asked jolting my body awake.

"No, yeah, I.. no I'm not."

"That's what I thought," Hamzah said. "What time did you go to bed anyways?"

"I don't remember.." I trailed off, lifting my head up.

Hamzah rolled his eyes, "Here they come.." I went to turn around and see, "Don't turn around!" Hamzah snapped. "It's like you're asking for them to annoy us."

I nodded my head and kept quiet, of course he was referring to Aaron Hull and his friends. Aaron was really popular, I never really understood why. Sure he was attractive, but did he even have a personality? Because it didn't really seem like it. He was friends with Chase Rutherford, Haley Sharpe, and Claire Drake. Chase and Aaron were both seniors, Haley was a junior like Hamzah and I, and Claire was a freshman. How was she even able to be friends with them as a freshman? It made no sense to me at all.

My thoughts were suddenly interrupted by their clique walking past Hamzah and I, looking back at us with a face of disgust. My expression fell and I looked down at the table.

"Hey, we only have to do this for one more year," Hamzah said reassuringly. "Not even, those assholes are gonna graduate in just a few months. Haley and Claire are not a threat."

I nodded my head looking up at him. I never understood why they felt like they were so entitled in this school, and were so mean. But Hamzah and I sort of just let it happen. We weren't really the type to get confrontational, especially with the "popular kids."

"There only two minutes until class," Hamzah said. "Let's go."

I left the cafeteria with Hamzah close behind, then eventually he went to his class, and I had to go to mine, Spanish.

I sat in my seat, taking out my binder and placing it on the desk, waiting for my teacher to start her lecture.

***