Epilogue I

Three Years Later
Alexa's Point of View

I sat on the bus. My head thudded against the window with each bump as the bus drove. I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. I slid my phone into my hands and opened the text from Tarver.

Tarver: I'm waiting at the stop for you.

Me: thank you for picking me up on such short notice!!

I sighed and shut my phone off, returning it into my pocket. I haven't seen Tarver, or anyone from Chico, for years. It's been three years since I left and there was only one reason I was coming back - Hamzah's accident.

Hamzah moved back to Chico when he turned eighteen. He moved in with Benny and Aaron. Aaron and Hamzah became best friends. With Benny, the three of them were inseparable. Hamzah and I never stopped talking although he lived with Aaron and Benny. We never talked about Aaron, not once since the night I left and as far as I knew, he never talked to them about me. At least, that's what he told me.

Hamzah was driving his car to go see Haley when he was ran off the road by a drunk driver. It happened last night. There was a voicemail on my phone from Haley. I was so shocked to hear her voice. I haven't talked to her either since I left. I changed my number and abandoned all social media platforms in hopes for a fresh start, and thank god I got the fresh start i so desperately needed.

She called me off of a random phone in the hospital and explained how badly Hamzah needed me. He was in critical condition. I never called back, I just hopped on the first train available and then a bus and now here I am, back on my way to Chico. I never thought I would return home.

I moved in with Kathy and her family. They weren't even hesitate to help me. They knew I was the one, along with Tarver, that saved Kathy. I was able to file for emancipation and got it. I haven't talked to my parent's since the court hearing. Last I heard, my mom was still a mess and my father was still having affairs. As much as I love my mom, it was better for me to leave and help myself while I could before I got sucked into the toxicity she beared with her.

Kathy: just texting to make sure you made it back to chico safely. please keep me updated and text me if u need anything!!<3

Me: thanks kathy, sure thing. i'm almost at the bus stop. tarver is picking me up and will bring me to the hospital to visit hamzah. wish me luck, gonna need it.

Kathy: of course, sending all the best energy your way. remember, set good intentions for your day ;) manifest greatness!

Me: maybe i should've brought that chunk of citrine..

Kathy: i told u so......!

I laughed at my phone as I returned it to my pocket and began to stare out the window.

"Okay honey, we're here," Said the bus driver, she looked at my through the rear view mirror.

"Thank you," I smiled and stood up rushing grabbing my suitcase.

"Take your time, I'm in no rush," Explained the bus driver. "Rarely anybody uses busses as forms of transportation. Especially to Chico."

"I could tell," I said as I looked around the empty bus. "Do you ever get lonely?"

"I enjoy the still quiet," She smiled as I approached her and began walking off the bus. "You be good now. And stay safe!"

"You as well," I smiled as walked over to the familiar black car that would smell like black cherry the second I sit inside.

Tarver rushed to me and grabbed my suitcase, "Let me get that for you Alexa."

"Thanks Tarver," I smiled as he put it in the trunk.

He walked over to me and hugged me, "I never thought I would hear from you again."

"I never thought I'd be back here," I explained.

"Want to stop at the diner?" He asked.

"I should really get to the hospital and see Hamzah," I explained as he opened the passenger door for me and I sat down. 

"I understand. But we won't sit in. We can call in your food and pick it up really quick. You can eat it in the car on the way there."

"Okay," I shrugged. "Why not."

I was starting to get hungry. The back to back train rides plus the bus rides were so long and I haven't had anything to eat.

"Bacon and cheese omelette still your favorite omelette?" Asked Tarver.

"Yes," I laughed innocently. "Of course it is."

"I'll text the chefs on schedule right now," He said as he took his phone out.

I snatched his phone from him, "Just drive. I can do it."

I thought about how careless someone could be to text and drive. Or drink and drive. After all, that is what brought me back home - a careless and selfish person who ran Hamzah off the road.

I placed Tarver's phone into a cup holder after texting the work group chat. I was so excited for that omelette. I missed the food from the dinner. I also missed wearing that stupid retro dress I always hated but now missed.

"How was it?" Asked Tarver. "Texas."

"It's.. nice," I smiled. "Mostly because of Kathy."

"She's doing good, right?"

"Very," I said nodding. "She even has a boyfriend now."

"Really?" He asked.

"His name is Shawn," I said. "They are really good together."

"That's nice. What about you?"

"Yeah no," I laughed.

"I hope you're not still hooked on that one guy Alexa," Said Tarver.

"Not at all," I shook my head. "I'm way past that."

"Good," Said Tarver. "You're way better off that way."

I nodded my head in response. Before I knew it, Tarver was running into the diner to grab my food. I sat in the car and looked around. The diner looked just how I remembered it, at least the exterior did.

"Here," Tarver said as he sat back into the car and handed me my food.

"Thanks," I said getting excited as I opened the styrofoam box and began to eat my omelette. "Delicious."

"Good," He said. "And now we go to the hospital."

The drive wasn't too long. But it also wasn't short. I ate my omelette as we listened to whatever music was on the radio. We talked a little, but I mostly zoned out, thinking of the days to come. I was going to be in Chico for at least a week, staying in the apartment that Tarver still had available for me. But if Hamzah wasn't okay in a week's time, I'd have to stay longer. I'm not leaving until I knew for sure that Hamzah was okay.