18

Alexa's Point of View

I was nearly tripping over my own feet as I raced to Hamzah's window.

He opened up the window, "What's the matter?"

"We have to go to the hospital now. Kathy and Delilah need us."

I've worked at the diner since I was fifteen. Delilah was still little then, but I've watched her grow up over the last two years. I've grown to deeply care for her and Kathy, this just wasn't fair.

Hamzah and I went to his car. He quickly jumped in and didn't even give his car any time to warm up, he just started to drive.

"Is it getting worse?" Asked Hamzah.

"Yeah," I sighed. "Kathy said that Delilah might not make it. Kathy needs us now more than ever Hamzah."

Hamzah, being my best friend, constantly brought me to and from the diner. Kathy got to know Hamzah and would constantly talk about us two being together. Seeing Kathy out of the workplace, for Delilah's birthday or her birthday, Hamzah was always there. He grew to love and care for them both as well.

Finally, pulling up to the hospital I went into the building with Hamzah's arm linked with mine. The woman at the front desk looked at us, "Name of patient?"

"Delilah Brown," I said.

She nodded her head, "Can I see your IDs?"

Hamzah pulled out his license, while I pulled out my school ID. Hamzah glanced over at my school ID and rolled his eyes scoffing. She hands us visitor stickers with our names on it.

"Okay, take the elevator to the fourth floor, it's room four-eleven," She said pointing to the elevator behind her.

"Thanks," Hamzah said grabbing my hand and rushing me towards the elevator.

"I'm gonna go to Starbucks and grab something for Kathy," Hamzah said. "I'll meet you up there."

I nodded my head and walked into the elevator. I pressed the button labeled with the number four and waited alone in the elevator. When the doors open, I exited and followed signs that led me to room four-eleven.

I knocked on the door. The door creaked open and there stood Kathy. She was bare faced and still so beautiful. Her coily hair in a bun.

"Hey Alexa," She said grabbing hold of me.

"Hi Kathy," I said holding onto her tightly. "Is everything.. okay?"

She shook her head and stepped out of the room, shutting the door behind her.

"It's th-the cancer," Kathy said holding her elbows. "It's progressing."

"I'm so sorry Katherine," I said.

"She's probably not going to last another week. They're sending her home on hospice," Kathy said sniffling loudly.

"Does she know?" I asked Kathy.

"I think she kinda knows," Kathy said. "She's only six Alexa.. how do I tell my daughter she only has a few days left?"

"I don't know Kathy," I said with a frown on my face.

"Hey," Hamzah said softly as he pulled Kathy into a hug.

"Hey Hamzah," She sniffled but smiled.

"I got you some coffee," Hamzah said holding out a coffee.

"Thank you," She said softly as she grabbed it from him. She turned to me, "I'm sorry. I know it's late at night but.. I didn't know who else to call."

"Don't worry about it," Said Hamzah.

"I want to be here for you as much as I can be," I said.

She pulled us into a group hug, "I just.. I don't know what to do."

"Do whatever she wants," I suggested. "Literally anything. Can I see her?"

Kathy nodded her head as she wiped her tears. She turned around and opened the door to Delilah's hospital room.

"Hey Del," I sweetly smiled as I walked into the room.

"Alexa!" She called. "Hamzah!"

She seemed to giddy. It broke my heart to see what she was going through.

Hamzah and I stayed in the hospital for a while with Kathy and Delilah. I was soon exhausted and Hamzah decided it was time to take me home.

"Kathy please," I said holding her. "Call me if you need anything. Or Hamzah. We're both here."

She sniffled and held onto me tight, not letting go. Until eventually, she did.

"Bye-bye Del!" I waved and smiled and so did Hamzah.

She waved in return but wasn't as giddy, she must've been tired and worn out.

Hamzah and I walked out to his car, tossing the visitor sticker in the trash on the way there.

"Jesus," Hamzah said. "That makes me feel so.. shitty."

"I know," I sighed. "Remember her fifth birthday party? When Kathy hired a magician and he popped the balloon and there were a ton of pigeons and they just followed you around."

"They liked the smell of my cologne for sure," Hamzah laughed.

He drove us home. There was no music playing because we were both so exhausted we didn't care to listen to anything.

"Bye Hamzah," I said waving goodbye as he waved back.

"Bye Alexa."

I went back to my room and switched my clothes into comfy and clean pajamas and fell asleep.

A/N: short chapter! but it's important to show the bond fixing between hamzah and alexa with a little aaron break. things will really start to pick up again next chapter. thank you so much!!! :)