32

Aaron's Point of View

I impatiently tapped my foot on the white-tiled floor. There was a knock on the door. I lifted my head up for my eyes to meet with Benny's through the skinny window on the door.

"Hey," Benny said walking into the room and giving me a hug. "I brought this."

He handed me a vase of flowers. I placed it on the bedside table next to my mom. She lied on hospital bed with tubes all coming in and out of her. I shuttered at the sigh of her but quickly turned away to see Benny.

"What even happened?" Asked Benny.

"I don't know," I shook my head. "They think it had something to do with her piece of shit boyfriend. Her head suffered a ton of trauma they said."

"Oh shit," Benny said. "Is she gonna be okay?"

"I-I don't know," I sighed looking back at her but quickly looking away.

"Didn't you have plans with Alexa last night?" Benny asked.

"Shit," I said. "I-I completely forgot. She's gonna kill me."

"Just explain to her what happened. I'm sure she'll for sure be understanding," Benny explained.

"I don't know," I shrugged my shoulder. "I- what do I say?"

"Apologize first, then tell her what happened," Benny said. "Easy."

And at that, my phone began ringing.

"Fuck. It's Alexa," I said.

"Well answer it!" Benny said waving his hands at the phone.

"Okay, okay," I said before pressing the green button and putting my phone up to my ear.

"No Fuck you Aaron. How could you tell me you love me and do this to me? You just went AWOL last night. I spent so much time setting this up. I put so much into this. My nerves were eating me alive to see your reaction and you ruined it all! You can never let things just be good! You always gotta go and fuck it up and do whatever you were doing that was just so much more important than the night I had planned for us. After everything, this is how you treat me. You couldn't even call or text to tell me you couldn't show up? What the

She hung up leaving me feeling alone.

"Guessing that didn't go to well," Benny huffed out.

"She's really upset with me. She has every right to be upset with since I have upset her so much. I didn't always treat her right in the beginning," I sighed looking down at the palms of my hands. "I don't deserve you."

"You definitely do," Benny said. "You guys have such a good dynamic going. At least from my point of view."

"Seems like that huh?" I laughed. "I wish."

"What's so wrong?" Asked Benny.

"Me," I let out a nervous laugh. "It's always me. Maybe her once or twice.. I don't know. Mostly me though."

"Then work on yourself Aaron," Benny said. "I can stay here tonight. You can go see Alexa or go home and rest. I don't mind."

"Benny you seriously are the most best friend in the world," Aaron said. "But this isn't your job. My problems have nothing to do with you."

"You're my best friend. You always have been," Benny said. "Your problems are mine, and mine are yours."

"Thanks Benny," I smiled. "But I'm staying here tonight."

"Do you need anything. I can go grab some stuff. A blanket? A pillow? Something to keep yourself busy?" Offered Benny.

"Benjamin, seriously, stop being so cool," I said. "Don't worry about me. Go home though. You have that meeting tomorrow morning. You're gonna get the gig!"

"I sure do hope so," Ben said standing up from his chair. "If you need anything, don't hesitate to text or call. At anytime." I smiled at him and he waved as he left the hospital room.

Guilt. I looked over to my mom. She lied in the bed almost lifeless.

"I'm so sorry mom," I said grabbing her hand. "I shouldn't have abandoned you. I shouldn't have left you with that guy. I really shouldn't have."

I thought about the night Alexa took me out of my house and how I stayed with her for a few nights before moving in with Benny.

"I'm so sorry mom," I said putting my head in her hands and beginning to cry. "I'm so sorry."

***

I woke up to the familiar hospital smell. I must have taken a nap. I was curled into a ball on the hospital chair, a blanket draped over me. I looked around to see my mom's doctor in the room checking her vitals. Her nametag said Dr. Liao.

"Hey sorry for being asleep," I said as I woke up.

"Never apologize for doing what is necessary for your body to properly function," He flashed me a smile. "I came a few hours ago and you were sound asleep so I put a blanket over you. If you were wondering. You must've had a long night last night."

"Thank you," I smiled to her.

"Of course," She said. "I know this hospital stay is for your mom but if you need anything, you let me know. I know how hard it can be seeing your mom or anyone this way."

"You can say that again," I sighed.

"We are going to open up a police investigation," Said Dr. Liao. "We have no idea what cause this as there is blunt force to the head. She could have fallen down the stairs but that is unlikely since there is no stressors on the rest of her body."

"Okay," I said. "Would I have to go down to the station?" I asked.

"They should be here soon," She answered my question. "We are required by law to report incidents like this to local law enforcement."

"Mhm," I nodded my head as I sighed from how stressed I was.

"Keep your head up," Dr. Liao said. "My best guess is she'll be up within the next twenty-four hours."

"Thanks doc," I said.

"Don't worry about it sweetheart."

Dr. Liao left and I sat around just waiting for the police to come.

"I love you mom," I said holding her hand. "I know I haven't been the best son ever since dad.. you know.. and I know I won't lose you too. I can't lose you mom."

"Are you Aaron Hull?" Asked a police officer as he walked into the room with another close behind him.

"Mhm," I nodded my head.

"Alright we have some questions about your mom's boyfriend."

***

"Have a good day," I told them with a smile as they left the room. Once they shut the door I dropped my smile, "Acab." I pointed a middle finger at the door as they walked away.