20

Two Days Later
Alexa's Point of View

I hadn't gone to school yesterday or today. I feel that from an outsider's point of view, they'd think I was being dramatic about Delilah's passing. But this was my first time actually dealing with death so close to home. My grandfather passed away, but I was only a few months old. Sure I missed him, but could I have truly missed him? I didn't know exactly what I was missing since I never new him. I didn't have any memories or personal experiences tied to him. But with Delilah, it was totally different. I watched her grow. Two and a half years ago I started working at the diner with Kathy. Kathy took me under her wing and would take me out places. She's like a big sister to me. I watched Delilah grow. I event went to her preschool graduation.

I stood up from my bed and walked over to my mirror, "I look horrific," I said aloud to myself.

Aaron never took me shopping yesterday since I've been dodging his texts and calls. Maybe I owed it to him, to answer. But I couldn't bring myself to talk to anybody. Delilah was just a little girl.

I looked at the time displayed on my phone's home screen, it was ten in the morning. The service began at three.

There was a knock on my window. I decided to ignore it and just lay in my bed. Whoever was there, would go away eventually.

The knocks turned to bangs. They were quicker and harder. I groaned, "Go away!" But the banging on my window, didn't stop.

I stood up and pushed the curtains away and angrily pulled up the window, "What?"

"Why have you been ignoring me?" Aaron asked.

"I don't feel like talking," I said.

"We don't have to talk," He said climbing into my room through my window.

Once he made it into my room. He reached outside the window and onto the ground, picking up a shopping bag and a plastic bag.

"I went shopping for you," Aaron said with a cheeky grin. "And I got you some food."

"You didn't have to," I said as I sat on my bed.

He opened up the shopping bag, "I got you a dress."

The dress was black and had sleeves. It was a tight fitting dress but loosed up from the waist down. It was plain, but formal.

"And then in here," He said grabbing the plastic bag that had 'thank you' written all over it, "Chocolate chip waffle. But not too many chocolate chips. Didn't want to overwhelm you." He laughed.

It was a reference to our diner date. I smiled as he handed my the bag.

"Did you get anything?" I asked him.

"No," He shook his head. "I don't wake up hungry."

I sat with my legs crossed on my bed. I opened the food and slowly ate it, "I think I'm gonna be sick," I said.

I stood up. Aaron followed me into the bathroom. He held my hair back as I began to vomit and cry.

"Just breathe," He said reassuringly. "Just breathe."

I nodded my head, "Okay I think I'm done now." I leaned back onto the bathroom wall.

"C'mon get up," Aaron said and reached his hand out.

He helped me up. I brushed my teeth and rinsed my mouth out with mouthwash before we returned to my room.

"You eat the waffles," I said pointing to them.

"But I'm a pancake guy," He said with puppy eyes.

"Whatever," I rolled my eyes.

I sighed and changed into the dress. Not caring that Aaron was in my room. We did sleep together already.

"You look good," Aaron nodded his head.

I shrugged, "I look so pale."

"Because you're not taking care of yourself," Aaron said. "You need to take better care of yourself. I know that.. is hasn't been easy. But you need to try."

"I know," I said.

I brushed my hair out and sprayed dry shampoo in it. I haven't showered in days. That's depression for you.

I lied back in my bed, dressed with my hair brushed through, my natural waves finally getting to breathe. I normally straighten my hair. If I never discovered a flat iron, my waves would probably be closer to curls.

"You're gonna be just fine later," Aaron said. "Take a nap now if you have to."

Aaron climbed into my bed with me and held me tightly as we drifted off into a nap.

***

Aaron held my hand as we walked to Delilah's plot. I took a deep breath as I shut my eyes, prepping myself for what was to come.

The service was small. There wasn't many people. Kathy grew up in Texas but moved to California when she got pregnant with Delilah. She has no family here, Delilah was all she had.

The only people that attended besides Kathy of course was our boss, Samantha our coworker, Jenny her close friend, Hamzah, Aaron, and I.

I walked over and stood beside Kathy, "Thank you for making it," She said with a weak smile.

"Of course Kathy," I said nodding my head. "You know I'll always be here for you."

Aaron gripped my hand tightly as we stood beside one another. I saw Hamzah making his way over and gave him a slight nod.

And the service began.

***

After the service, Kathy walked over to me, "Where'd your boyfriend go?"

"My boyfriend? You mean Aaron," I said. "He went to his car to grab my jacket. It's a little more chilly then I expected. Why?"

"I have to thank him," She said.

"For?" I questioned.

"For donating to the fundraiser," She said looking at the group. "He's the only reason I was able to have this beautiful service."

"Oh," I said. "I'm glad he was able to donate."

"Me too," She said.

Kathy handed me a small beaded bracelet, "This was Delilah's. She always made these little kandi bracelets."

"Thank you," I said slowly taking it from her hand. "Are you sure?"

"She made a ton of them," She said with a smile. "And I know green and yellow are your favorite colors."

I smiled and put it on my wrist, "Thanks Kathy."

She pulled me into a hug, "Thank you," She said squeezing me tight. "Thanks so much for coming."

"Of course," I said as we pulled away.

"I'll see you at work tomorrow night?" She asked.

I nodded my head before she turned around and started to say goodbye to everyone else.

"Hey," I turned around and there stood Aaron with my little black jacket.

"Thanks," I said as he helped me put it on.

"What were you two talking about?" He asked.

"Nothing," I shook my head. "But I think she wanted to talk to you. You should go see her."

"Alright," He said. "Be right back."

As he went to go approach Kathy I pulled out my phone and went to the fundraiser. At the top of the donation list it said: Aaron Hull • $1,000.