2. Failure

The next night was like the last, except Damian didn't get a clean kill. Or a kill at all. His usual guts and glory filled night was replaced with his first failed assassination attempt.

Damian managed to easily bypass the Teen Titans security system and stealthily make his way down the dark hallway. It was past midnight, so he assumed everyone living in the enormous tower was sleeping.

As he slowly stepped, he debated which method to use. Strangling her might be too difficult considering she had powers, so using his blade to take her out seemed like the best option.

Quietly, Damian opened each bedroom door and peeked inside to figure out who occupied it. When he finally found Raven's room, he made his way inside, shutting the door once he was inside. He pulled his katana from its holster and made his way over towards the bed. This would be easy.

Damian quickly ate his own words as he was met with a much bigger challenge. She easily sensed his presence and awoke from her sleep, her eyes glowing white.

"Who's there?" Raven demonically growled, rising up from her bed. Damian just remained quiet and hid in the shadows of her immensely dark bedroom. When there was no answer, Raven used her telekinesis to push her furniture in front of him, trapping him against the wall. "You made a huge mistake coming into my room."

Damian's eyes went wide underneath his mask. He soon realized how powerful she really was. Okay, so maybe this wasn't going to be easy.

As Raven inched towards him, he managed to free himself and hopped on top of the desk, then leaped off the desk with his katana in hand. Before he could strike her, a black force-shield appeared and blocked his attack. This knocked him to the ground.

Suddenly, all the candles lit up around them and illuminated the room to where they could see each other. Raven was only wearing a loose t-shirt and her undergarments, with her short hair still wet from the shower. Damian didn't pay mind to that, sexual attraction wasn't useful to him.

Raven glared down at the boy who was dressed in all black, the only visible feature on him being his eyes which was a color she couldn't quite make out in the dim light. Not only that, but it was hard to read his aura right now. She couldn't pick up a single thing.

"Why are you here?" Raven questioned, irritation evident in her tone. "Who the hell are you?"

"My identity isn't important, because are about to die, demon," Damian responded, his voice muffled by his mask. He raised his katana up in an attempt to strike her, but she quickly used her powers to stop him. "I have never failed."

"Well, I'd love to be your first time, then," Raven retorted, her piercing gaze unmoving from his.

The sound of knocking came from the door, faint both of their attention. "Raven, is everything alright in there? We heard a lot of commotion."

The two teens made eye contact one last time before Damian headed for the window, leaping out of it before she could use her abilities to stop him.

"It was nothing," Raven assured her friends, looking at the open window with a disturbed expression.

--

Damian safely landed under the tower with the help of his grappling hook and sprinted towards the water, swimming underneath the waves until he found himself back on the other side of the land.

"Dammit!" he cursed to himself under his shaky breath that was visible in the crisp cold air. He was soaked from head to toe.

Shaking off the cold, he began to make his way back to his safe house, leaping across rooftops in the process.

Once back, he stripped off his soaked clothes and threw them in the laundry for him to wash and dry later. He took a warm shower and dressed himself before sitting down at his computer.

He began scheming a plan for the next day, knowing that he couldn't just simply strike and kill her. She wasn't going to go down easily, and going back home empty-handed wasn't an option.

This new plan would take some more effort, but with time and skill, it should work. He would make sure of it.

All he had to do was make himself likable and get close enough to gain her trust. That couldn't be too hard, right?