15. Guilt

Damian awoke to the feeling of a cold rag touching his cheek.

"You're awake," a soft voice spoke, relief in her tone. He gently turned his head to see Raven sitting next to his bed, her expression dulling as she pulled the wet cloth away. "I'm sorry about last night."

Confused, Damian sat up from his spot, and immediately regretted it. His entire body ached, especially his head. When he glanced down, he noted that he was shirtless, revealing a fresh set of scars on his torso. His legs were covered with sweatpants, and his feet were bare. Underneath him was a cool sheet.

"What happened?"

Raven looked down shamefully. "I wrecked your bike. A crazy man jumped out in front of us. You've been unconscious for a day."

Damian stared at her skeptically. He had no memory of the incident, so he didn't know what to believe. For some reason, he got the feeling that she was being dishonest with him. "Who was it?"

"I dont know," Raven answered and glanced up nervously to meet his gaze. "He was masked. I think he escaped from the asylum."

The two of them were quiet for a moment, before Damian decided to break the silence. "Are you okay?"

Raven raised her eyebrows in surprise before frowning. "Don't worry about me. You're the one who got hurt. It's all my fault, I'm sorry."

On his nightstand was a bowl of what looked to be water and a cloth, which he assumed she was having to clean his wounds. Not only that, but underneath Raven's eyes were dark circles. He assumed she hadn't slept.

"I'm fine, and I'm sure my bike is too," Damian replied. "Stop worrying so much. It's irritating."

Despite his attempt to calm her, Raven couldn't help but feel guilty. "I'm going to get you something to eat. I'll be right back."

He watched as she left, an amused expression on his face.

"Weird girl."

For the rest of the day, Raven brought him each course meal, gave him books to read to pass time, and even did his laundry for him. It was obvious that she felt guilty, and it bothered Damian.

"You don't have to do this," Damian decided to speak.

Raven turned her attention away from folding his clothes. "I know," she admitted. "But I want to."

Damian watched her in annoyance as she put his folded shirts away in his dresser. "Why didn't you heal me?"

Raven glanced up at him, an eyebrow raised at the sudden question. "Last time you were injured, you told me not to," she answered.

Right, Damian thought, trying to find his words. "Thank you for respecting my wishes."

Raven nodded in response before taking the empty clothes basket out of the room, his bedroom door shutting behind her.

Once the door was closed, Raven leaned against it, letting out a tired sigh. After a brief moment she got back up and took the empty clothes basket back to the laundry room.

"Raven, you should get some rest."

Garfield's voice caused Raven to look up. She let out a faint laugh. "I know my body. I'll be fine."