10. Turmoil

"These look hideous."

Raven sighed as she watched Damian browse through different pairs of swimming trunks, an unamused expression on his face. She was already starting to regret her decision.

Finally, his hand landed on a simple pair of red trunks and he seemed satisfied. "I'll get these," he decided as he pulled them off the rack and headed towards the counter. Raven followed behind him, a relieved expression on her face.

"I'll pay for them since it was my idea," Raven offered as she reached for her bag, but was immediately stopped.

"I don't need your charity, I can pay," Damian said as he pulled out his wallet, and before Raven could object, her mouth nearly fell open at the sight of the thick wad of cash in his wallet.

After Damian paid the amount he owed, he stuck the change back inside his wallet before tucking it away in his pocket. As they walked towards the exit of the shop, he caught Raven's amused gaze. "What?"

"How do you have so much money?" Raven curiosity asked. "Do you have a job?"

Damian quickly thought over his answer, being careful with his choice of words. "My mother sent it with me. She's quite wealthy."

Well, it wasn't a complete lie.

"Well, that's convenient," Raven replied and led the way towards the beach while changing the subject, leaving Damian with a relieved feeling. "Aren't you going to change?"

Damian raised an eyebrow. "We are swimming?"

"I mean, that's kind of the purpose of going to the beach," Raven nervously laughed. He was undeniably smart when it came to fighting or technology, but when it came to simple things like this, he really was clueless.

"I'll be back then," Damian said before heading toward the closest public restroom.

Once he was gone, Raven sat down on a bench and let out a long, exasperated sigh. Now she understood how her friends felt about her.

It didn't take him long to change, and once he was out Raven hesitantly took him to the sandy shore of Jump City.

"It's hot," Damian noted as they placed their belongings down in a secluded spot.

"That's what the ocean is for," Raven retorted before slipping off her sandals. She watched as Damian followed suit by taking off his sneakers.

Through the corner of her eye, she caught a glimpse of him wincing the slightest as he put all his weight on his previously injured leg. "It still hurts?"

Damian glared at her. "No, it's fine."

Raven didn't buy it, and although she shouldn't, she pushed. "You didn't let it heal properly."

His annoyed gaze didn't move. "I know my body's limit."

Raven fought back the urge to roll her eyes, and stripped off her clothes. She glanced at Damian and watched as he hesitantly did the same.

As they reached the ocean, Raven easily noticed the stares Damian received, and for some reason, she began to feel sad. She knew what they were staring at; the abundance of scars that covered his torso.

"Something wrong?" Damian questioned as he caught her stare, pulling her out of her thoughts.

"No, sorry," Raven quickly averted her gaze, returning her attention to the cold saltwater beneath their feet. As much as she wanted to ask about it, she refrained from doing so. "I just wanted to see if you were having fun."