16. Anger

"I told you it would be fine."

Raven hesitantly smiled at the sight of Damian's now fully-intact bike. It had been weeks since she'd accidentally wrecked it. "Are you... feeling better?"

Damian quietly nodded as he wiped the seat off. As a moment of silence passed by, Raven intently studied his posture. Damian glanced up and met her gaze for a brief second before he was interrupted. 

"Raven!"

The sound of Dick's distraught voice caught both to their attention. Koriand'r and a panicked Garfield followed close behind. Raven cocked her head sideways with concern.

"Why didn't you tell us you were being targeted by assassins?"

Ravens eyes widened at the question. She looked at Garfield in surprise. "You told them?"

"Rae, look—" Garfield started, gulping as he watched her expression twist into anger. "I didn't mean to—"

"You promised!" Raven exclaimed, and Damian's eyes widened as he witnessed a new side of her. Whether she was more mad or hurt, he couldn't tell.

Raven began to laugh as tears threatened to slip from her eyelids. "I don't know why I trusted you," she said before turning her back towards the group and using her abilities to teleport.

"Shit," Garfield groaned, and angrily grabbed his face. "She's pissed. There's no telling where she went!"

"Everyone split up and search," Koriand'r quickly ordered. "She's at high risk right now."

Damian watched the group frantically get ready and leave, deep in thought as he made his decision.

Raven coughed as she took one last long drag from a cigarette, watching as the smoke cleared above her head. Once she was finished, she discarded the butt in a trash can she passed by as she made her way down the sidewalk.

Her pale hands trembled as they found their way into her jacket pockets. Was she was too hard on him? She pondered. No, he broke a promise.

"Idiot," She sighed as she mentally scolded herself. Her emotions always seemed to get the best of her.

After a while of trying to calm her mind, Raven began to feel uneasy. As her thoughts faded, the sound of footsteps began to grow nearer.

Once she stopped at a corner, the sound also vanished. The realization caused her to gulp. Perhaps a walk to clear her head wasn't a good idea right now.

Surrounding her were, of course, vacant streets and dimly lit sidewalks. Another set of footsteps caught her attention and she decided she needed to get out of there.

Unable to use her abilities, Raven began to sprint down the sidewalk, her eyes frantically scanning for a good place to hide.

She took a quick glance behind her, and the sight of a disguised assassin chasing her made her stomach churn. "No," she panted.

To her surprise, another disguised person emerged from overhead and took the chaser out. However, more assassins emerged from the darkness and continued the trail.

Raven quickly returned her attention toward what was in front of her, and the opening for a warehouse caught her eye. Without a second thought, she sprinted inside and rushed up the stairs, desperately trying to get out of their sight.

The warehouse was lit well, but also empty. Graffiti on the brick walls told Raven this place was abandoned yet still operational.

Swiftly, she managed to climb atop a beam and stood still against a pillar as she watched the men enter the building and begin searching for her.

Raven's heart pounded wildly in her chest, imagining the horror of what could happen at the hands of one of these men. She cursed herself for even stepping out of the tower so vulnerable.

The feeling of a man's clothed arm wrapping around her waist, and before she could let out a startled scream, his gloved hand clamped over her open mouth. The sight of a bloody katana caught her attention as it was pressed against her torso in his other hand. His chest pressed against her backside, and she could feel his heart racing fast enough to match her own, as well as him trying to catch his breath underneath the cloth mask.

Raven hesitantly turned her head to meet a familiar brown-eyed gaze, swallowing thickly as he stared her down.

"Stay quiet, if you want to live."