5. Injury

After receiving a distress call, the Titans appeared at Jump City Mall to find the Fearsome Five. Rumors had it that the mischievous group were raiding every store and terrorizing the customers.

"Who are these imbeciles again?" Redbird questioned as he followed behind Blue Beetle through the giant glass doors at the entrance.

"A group of gifted teenagers formed by Doctor Light," Starfire explained as she scanned their surroundings. "There's Mammoth, Jinx, Gizmo and Psimon."

"Doctor Light was so sick of losing against us that he formed a team of teenagers to fight his battles," Beast Boy added before laughing.

"You're not wrong," Blue Beetle replied with a chuckle.

"I'm glad you think so."

The Titans stopped in their tracks at the voice before turning around. It was Gizmo.

"Finally, they show up," Jinx added as she dropped one of the dresses on display.

Mammoth came out of another outlet when he heard his teammates commotion. "Took them long enough," he said, carelessly dropping the stereo system in his hand.

"What is the meaning of this?" Starfire innocently asked, her eyes glowing a vibrant shade of green.

Gizmo laughed at her question. "To get you morons' attention!" he answered before using his cloaking device to clone himself with holographic copies.

Starfire's eyes widened. "Titans, go!"

With her command, the team of young superheroes rushed toward the three villains. Blue Beetle and Starfire dealt with Gizmo and his fake clones while Raven, Nightwing and Beast Boy dodged Mammoth's charges. 

"Here's a new face," Jinx sneered as she approached Redbird, circling him mischievously. "What's your name?"

Redbird held his escrima sticks close, prepared to attack the girl. "None of your business," he simply answered, his brown eyes narrowing under the cowl.

"That's not an interesting name," Jinx unenthusiastically replied before using her hands to send a pink wave of electricity in his direction. "Maybe I was trying to be nice?"

Redbird swiftly leaped from the ground to dodge her shockwave. "Too bad," he said, his gaze unmoving from her.

"Hmph," she sounded as she pressed her lips together. "You have talent. It's a shame you're wasting it on these losers."

Redbird ignored her comment before striking at her with his escrima stick, resulting in her defensively using her powers to shock him. "Nice try, bird-brain."

Without warning, Raven called out a spell and shoved Jinx aside using her telekinesis, pushing it the other girl against a display window. Redbird widened his eyes at the sight of her landing on the ground.

"Your voice is grating on my nerves," Raven insulted in a monotone voice.

Jinx laughed at her remark as she got back on her feet. "Well, you won't have to listen to it for too long."

Raven raised an eyebrow at her comment before she heard the grating sound of Psimon's monotone voice. "The demon girl belongs to Brother Blood. Mammoth, grab her, now!"

Redbird eyed the man suspiciously, a confused expression on his masked face. She wasn't just a target for the League of Assassins. This was a challenge.

"Nothing belongs to fools who stop an inch from the finish line."

His mother's words echoed in his head. No, she was his target, and he was going to fulfill his mission. Even if that meant taking out her other potential predators. He would deal the killing stroke, no one else. This was his battle to win.

"Raven, watch out!" Beast Boy's warning caused Raven to scan her surroundings cautiously, her eyes glowing white as she frantically looked for the large man.

From above, Mammoth jumped from the chandelier and plummeted towards a clueless Raven. Before he could make impact, Redbird swiftly pushed her out of the way, resulting in him being partly squashed by the other boy.

"Fuck!" Redbird yelled out in agonizing pain as his gloved hands went straight for his leg. That was definitely a fracture.

Mammoth laughed. "Stupid little boy. I can do the same to-"

"You've done enough," Beast Boy retorted before using his shifting ability to push him off from Redbird in the form of an elephant.

Raven wore a shocked expression as she quickly approached Redbird. "Here, let me heal-" she started, but was cut off as Redbird shoved her hand away.

"I'll be fine. Go focus on the others," Redbird said through gritted teeth. As much as he wanted her to heal his wound, it was too risky.

"No, you need-" Raven started as she gently took the injured thigh into her hands, but was interrupted again as he snapped at her.

"I said leave me alone, dammit!" Redbird scolded as he jerked his hurt leg away, causing himself to yell out in pain again.

Raven narrowed her eyes at him before standing back up. "Fine then, jerk," she retorted before turning around and rushing to help Starfire and Nightwing restrain Psimon with her demonic abilities.

Once the villains were restrained, Nightwing and Starfire left them to the authorizes to deal with.

"Stupid rookies," Beast Boy commented as he approached Redbird. "Are you okay, dude? Why don't you let Raven heal you up?"

Redbird eyed the green hand being extended toward him. He shifted his gaze to the ground before hesitantly taking the offer and propped himself against the green boy. "I don't believe in using magic for my own benefit," he lied. "I did this to myself, so she can keep her powers for herself. Besides, I know how to treat my own injuries."

"If you say so," Beast Boy said as he helped Redbird exit the building, watching as the other boy winced with each step he took.

The sound of painful groans on the other side of her bedroom wall caused Raven to lower her book.

After the events today, Raven didn't feel pity for Damian. She offered politely to heal him, and he didn't take it. So, that was his own fault.

But the more she remembered the encounter, the more she wondered what he was hiding. A broken bone was a serious wound, so why wouldn't he want it healed as quickly as possible?

This definitely raised her suspicion. She didn't trust him, not in the slightest. Trust had to be earned, and so far, there was no sign of him showing her any reason to put trust in him.

If she wasn't careful, another Terra would be living amongst them, and she couldn't stand by for another hurtful betrayal.