6. Trust

"What even is that?"

Garfield stopped what he was doing to glare up at Jaime. "It's a dog, obviously."

"It looks like a pig. For an animal lover, you suck at drawing them," Jaime retorted before grabbing the marker from the green boy. "Give me that."

Steadily, Jaime used the marker to add another drawing to Damian's makeshift cast. So far, everyone had now signed it except for Raven.

The concept seemed silly to Damian, but he didn't ask or say anything. He would look out of place if he did. So, he let the others doodle on his injured leg.

"See? Now that's a dog," Jaime said before pressing the cap back on the marker.

"Whatever," Garfield said before glancing at Raven, who was sitting on the opposite side of the couch from them, reading a book. "Hey Rae, why don't you sign it?"

Raven briefly lifted her gaze to look at him before returning her attention to her book. "I'll pass."

Suddenly, the distress alarm sounded throughout the tower.

Koriand'r checked the description before informing everyone about the task at hand. "Bank robbery. Titans, suit up!"

Everyone except Damian left the room, leaving him alone. It had been a week since he'd broken his leg, and he stayed home for each mission now. Which honestly didn't matter to him, because he wasn't a true hero. However, his injury was keeping him from completing the side missions his mother had assigned him. That wasn't good.

"Actually, Raven, you can sit this one out. You can stay and help Damian if he needs it," Koriand'r spoke lowly to the other girl, however it didn't pass Damain's ear unnoticed.

Raven watched as the other three walked through the front door. "Oh, okay," was all she said.

Koriand'r flashed her a smile before leaving. Once the other girl was gone, Raven paid no mind to the boy sitting on the couch and quietly headed towards her bedroom.

Damian watched form the corner of his eye, a sigh escaping his lips when he heard the faint sound of her door clicking shut. It still would be too early to try and strike, seeing that she was still untrusting of him. He could sense her unease by the way she avoided his presence.

He needed to start trying harder. But, how? How do you make a friend? This wasn't common knowledge to him. He was never taught the act of genuine kindness. The only person that ever showed him love and affection was his mother, and even that was a questionable relationship.

So, if he really wanted to gain Raven's trust, he would have to step out of his comfort zone.

Hesitantly, he used his crutches to get to his feet and slowly but surely made his way towards the girl's door. After taking a deep breath, he reached a hand out to knock on the steel door. When he didn't get a response, he knocked again, this time louder.

"What?"

Damian cleared his throat. "Uh, I was wondering if you wanted to watch a movie or something," he decided to say, then added, "I'm bored."

The sound of footsteps grew louder on the other side of the door before the door slid open. "So now you're going to be nice to me?"

The cold stare she sent him caused his heart to beat quicker. "I didn't realize I was rude before. Is that why you ignore my presence?"

Raven held back the temptation to roll her eyes. "Perhaps," was all she answered with.

"Well, I apologize for my behavior," Damian said, letting out a sigh. "I'm not the easiest person to get along with, but I hope that you will soon be able to trust me enough to consider me a teammate, maybe even a friend."

Raven's eyes widened the slightest at his words, her gaze unmoving from his as she stared intently into his still eyes. For the first time, after trying to read his lack of emotions for weeks, she could finally sense something from him. Loneliness.

Damian turned his body and placed his crutches in front of his feet, using them to maneuver himself down the long hallway.

"What movie?"

Her soft voice caused him to stop in his tracks. He turned his head to look at her, a hopeful look in his amber eyes.

Halfway through the horror film Raven had picked out, Damian fell asleep. The back of his head was laid back against the couch, and his breathing was steady. On his face was a peaceful expression.

Raven watched his chest rise and fall from a few feet away, her curious eyes traveling up to study the small details of his sleeping face. Her eyes remained on his slightly parted lips before reaching his long dark eyelashes that were attached to his motionless eyelids. Who are you? she wondered to herself as she watched him with uncertainty.

The rest of the team returned home before the movie ended, causing Damian to wake from his nap.

"Sorry," Damian hesitantly apologized, looking at Raven in unease. He didn't intend for her to see him in such a vulnerable state. "I didn't mean to fall asleep."

Raven let out he faintest laugh when she noticed the smallest trail of sticky drool underneath his bottom lip. "It's okay," she assured him. "You looked peaceful, so I didn't want to wake you."

"What is so humorous?" Damian asked with a perplexed expression, surprise that she had looked so amused. It was remarkably a different sight compared to her usual melancholy mood.

Raven stood up from her spot and lifted her hand to gesture towards her lower lip. With that, she quietly retreated back to her dark bedroom.

Damian raised an eyebrow before feeling of his chin, his face quickly flushing in embarrassment when he felt the wetness.

He had never done that in his sleep before.