11. Anxious

Damian let out a long, drawn out sigh as he watched the television in front of him. The day had been agonizingly slow and uneventful.

It was now nighttime, and he hadn't been given a single mission the entire day, not as Redbird or as an assassin.

Not only that, but Raven had left a short time ago to go see a movie with Garfield. The idea shouldn't have bothered him, but he couldn't help but feel off.

As he lay there on his thoughts, worry settled in him at the thought of her being alone. Garfield had remarkable abilities, but not enough to keep her safe from cold-blooded kidnappers, or worse, assassins.

Damian raised up from his bed and stared at the window for a moment as he pondered his next move. Sneaking out would be extra risky tonight, but it may also be worth it.

After debating for one more minute, he suited up in his Redbird suit before leaping out the open window into the night air.

When he reached his safe house, he changed from vigilante to assassin and began to check each movie theatre in Jump City.

He spent half an hour doing this, and right before he was about to call it quits and head back to the tower, he finally picked up on Garfield's voice on the sidewalk. Damian stealthily tailed them from behind as they walked their way home.

"That wasn't as interesting as I'd expected."

Damian heard Raven laugh. "You like the worst movies. If we watched a thriller instead of some dumb superhero movie, it would've been better."

"Whatever," Garfield retorted as he stopped by a late-opened gas station. "I'm thirsty. Want a drink?"

"Get me a tea, if you would," Raven answered. When he went inside, she sat on the bench and pulled out her cellphone.

Damian swallowed as he scanned their surroundings. The street was empty, she was alone, and it was quiet. Too quiet.

The sight of orange caught his eye as soon as the color emerged from the shadows. The choice in attire made it clear who they worked for.

"Slade."

Without a second thought, Damian stepped from his hiding spot, katana in hand as he prepared to fight the other assassin. Raven looked up from her phone in shock at the scene displayed before her.

"Stand back, amateur. She belongs to Deathstroke."

Damian narrowed his eyes underneath his mask at the taller man, raising his katana. Raven swiftly got up and ran down an alley, before letting out a surprised yell as two more hidden assassins grabbed roughly her by the arms.

To his surprise, he watched as the two men were shot from the alley, a black and purple wave of energy pushing them against the wall on the opposite side of the empty street.

When Damian noticed the other assassin pulling out his automatic gun from his back holster, Damian swiftly knocked it from his hand with an elbow.

"If anyone kills her, it's gonna be me."

With ease, Damian used the assassins own gun to shoot him clean through the skull. After the shot rang out, he turned his head to the side to see Raven watching from the shadows, a horrified expression on her face as she watched blood pool on the cement around their feet, her hand raised to her mouth in shock.