7.1 Falling Lights

- After -

"Piya!"

Kit Kat jumped and flew into Aki's embrace. Shivering from fright, he buried himself into Aki's coat, never to resurface again... at least till they got out of this eerie place. The gang of trio was now in an underground ruin, looking for an herb called Chrysanths.

Chrysanths grows in the deepest underground climate and was commonly called the death flower. Although it creates a potent poison, sometimes poison has to be fought with poison and when used correctly, it can become a cure.

The ruins was an old temple, dedicated to the god of death. With the God of light becoming more popular and preached by Kingdoms around the world, followers of Death faced unfair stigma and had either been persecuted over the years or went into hiding. And so after much neglect, the temple has deteriorated and collapsed.

It was fitting of how the death flower grows here too.

As the group journeyed deeper within the ruins, all around them were maze-like structures built with towering walls that were set out to probably deter thieves. Amongst the dark and gloomy narrow pathway, Aki was looking down at her smart bracelet that projected a GPS-like map to guide them to the Chrysanths with a floating light ball as a beacon.

Cadbury was still frolicking around, exploring a slight distance away from the other two. After all it was a mighty dragon and a mighty dragon is never afraid.

A rustle sounded and Cadbury turned her head rapidly in that direction, on high alert. But there was nothing there except for darkness that seemed it could swallow anything and everything up.

Y- Yes, Cadbury is a mighty dragon who isn't afraid of anything! It was probably just the wind!

It never occured to Cadbury how an enclosed space would never have wind passing through. A shadow mist lurks around the group, flashing in and out of the gaps of the maze structure, as if waiting and observing. Aki continued to look down at her smart bracelet seemingly unaware.

Silence permeated the atmosphere with a sole figure walking amongst the dark and a slowly trotting Cadbury behind Aki.

Thinking it was a good time to strike, the shadow mist slowly condensed and flashed towards Aki. But like how all Aki-encounters go, the shadow was destined to fail.

----------

- Before -

"Here is where we are now. And here is our goal, the end point. Our mission is to collect three horns from Cricets, an Ocimum Herb and a bonus card that's been hidden in the forest while making our way to the end point."

Heiki looked up as he was explaining and saw four of his party members focusing intently on the map.

"We have three days and two nights to complete the assessment. And to secure our grades it's the easiest to get the three Cricet horns. For the herb, we have a general direction as we know it's growing conditions and we will slowly make our way there while hunting down the Cricket. But for the card, I suggest we do not actively look for it as we never know where it's hidden and honestly it's a waste of time. "

"But... the card gives the most points for the assessment."

Tsukasa frowned as he heard Heiki's strategy. Although logical, Tsukasa still wanted to get as many points as he could. This was the second last assessment before they graduate and he needed as many points as he could get to graduate first in the academy, just like his older brother. As an illustrious Prince, if he wanted to gather support and gain approval, he would need to prove his worth.

"Yeah! Tsukasa's right! Maybe we can spend a bit of time looking for the card?"

Big baby blue eyes looked at Tsukasa, shining as if it was looking at something beloved.

Yuki scoffed.

"We have already decided on this strategy even before the assessment started. Isn't it his fault that he couldn't attend the meeting?"

Tsukasa blushed in embarrassment and awkwardness. And Luna glanced at Yuki, frowning, with a hint of hostility in her eyes. An awkward tension hung in silence as each were contemplating their options.

"I'M BORED!! LET'S GO AND SETTLE THE DETAILS ON THE WAY! IT'S TIME TO HUNT SOME CRICET!!"

Itching to move, Takeshi declared loudly and started trekking deeper into the forest. Heiki shut off the holographic map and followed, with Yuki trailing behind them.

Tsukasa and Luna turned to look at each other before getting up with no choice. It's either that or be left behind.

"Don't worry Tsukasa! I will help you to keep a lookout for the card!"

"Thank you, Luna."

Tsukasa flashed his princely shining perfect smile (which he had secretly practiced a lot in front of the mirror) and Luna turned bright red, avoiding meeting his gaze.

"You- You're... Welcome..."

Suddenly, as if sensing something, Luna looked behind her, eyes so sharp with a hint of cruelty in it. It was a world's difference from the innocent baby blues just a moment ago. Surveying the surroundings, all Luna could see was just ordinary trees with leaf foliage on the ground.

There was nothing out of place.

"Luna? What's wrong?"

"Nothing!"

Luna put her sweet smile back on and trotted up to Tsukasa. It must have been her imagination.

-

"Luna! Switch!"

The Cricet looked like an enlarged mole with a horn on its head and as Heiki clashed with it. The impact caused both of them to be flung backwards and there was an opening which was perfect for Luna to attack.

Just as Luna was dashing up towards the Cricet, she tripped on a tree root and fell.

"Luna!"

Tsukasa panicked. Luna had fallen right in front of the monster and was in it's direct attack range.

"FLLLAAAAMMMEEE!!!"

Takeshi dashed up and smacked the Cricet with his flaming staff. The Cricet screamed as Takeshi took out its eyes. However as the Cricet was swinging its claws around in pain, Takeshi suffered a deep gash on his chest before he could dodge.

"Shield! High Heal!"

Yuki immediately set up a shield around Takeshi giving him time to retreat and heal his wounds. Heiki took over and charged up, dealing a blow to the Cricet with a long hammer that was even taller than him.

With a last agonizing cry, the Cricet fell with a loud BOOM!

Panting, Heiki turned around to check the party's status. Yuki was checking on Takeshi's wounds which she was healing and Tsukasa was helping Luna up. Giving a little sigh of relief, he turned to the Cricet and started to extract its horn.

"Hey Yuki, can you heal Luna? Her forehead is bleeding."

Yuki rolled her eyes and ignored Tsukasa. The "bleeding" that Tsukasa mentioned had already stopped and it was only a surface scratch. Compared to Takeshi, Luna did not even need a bandaid.

"YUKI!"

Tsukasa shouted agitatedly, startling the rest. Everyone turned to look at Tsukasa who was panting in anger.

"I'm talking to you! As the group's healer can you do your job and heal Luna?! I know you don't like her but now is not the time for games!"

Yuki, who was still healing Takeshi, looked at Tsukasa as if he was going crazy. And with how Tsukasa felt right now, it was actually quite accurate. It was quite strange with how high-strung Tsukasa was as this was not the first expedition nor his first fight with monsters, but he just could not shake off that feeling.

"She just needs to use a low grade healing potion."

Heiki said as he returned after collecting the horn and tossed Tsukasa a bottle.

Gritting his teeth, Tsukasa turned to Luna who had lowered her head as if in grievance.

After a brief rest, they decided the next direction to head to with a strange tension in the party.