3.2 Keep up the good work

- Before -

A high pitch scream tore through the forest. And no, it wasn't from Aki, but Flynn.

As the cat pounced on them, Rory who was facing the cat had the fastest reaction. He pushed Flynn away and drew his sword, clashing with the cat. However, the claws of the cat caught Flynn's back and ripped open several wounds. Blood poured out as Flynn collapsed unconscious on the forest floor.

"Flynn!!!!!"

Adam shouted and rushed over to Flynn's side. He panicked at how Flynn was groaning in pain and the blood that pooled out continuously from his wound.

"RORY!! Pass me the healing potion!!"

Adam shouted but did not turn to see how Rory was still in combat with the cat. The cat and Rory were in a deadlock with each other. It was biting down hard on Rory's sword as Rory tried to parry it off.

"RORY!! NOW!!"

Drenched in sweat from the exertion and panic, Rory tries to respond to Adam but could not. The cat demanded all his strength and focus.

"C.. Can't... He... help... Aki!"

Hearing Rory's plea for help, Aki sighed. She was observing the situation and shook her head.

Judging that Flynn's wound was not as serious as what Adam made it to be and how he lost consciousness due to shock and pain more than the injury. She was trying to see how the other two would react to the situation.

Rory lacked the ability to command his team and Adam lost his cool over Flynn getting injured and did not provide support for Rory. If Adam could have taken Rory's place, Rory could have used the healing potion that was with him.

In the first place, it was Adam's mistake of not packing a healing potion with him as well.

Aki drew Shinshu and dashed towards the battle while throwing a healing potion at Adam who fumbled at it.

Sensing the incoming danger, the cat pounced away from Rory and met Aki straight on. It tried to overpower Aki like Rory but Aki easily pushed it backwards and managed to slashed it across its body. The cat yowled. Aki and the cat then started to circle each other, looking for the right timing and any openings to attack.

Tension crackled in the air. The cat growled. Aki kept her usual cool, observing for signs that the cat was going to pounce again. Blood-thirst filled the air.

Determining that it cannot win against Aki, the cat gave a last snarl and turned, running off.

Whew, relaxing her stance, Aki sheathed shinshu and checked on the others.

Rory, leaning against the tree in exhaustion, was dumbfounded at the cat's sudden escape and relieved that the fight was over.

Flynn's injury had stopped bleeding, but still was showing an open flesh wound on his back.

Adam was still a mess, holding up Flynn and checking and rechecking his wounds, trying to shake Flynn awake.

Aki hit Adam at the back of his head with Shinshu.

"Snap out of it. Carry Flynn and let's return to get him a doctor."

Adam scrambled into action. After Rory helped Flynn onto Adam's back, Aki and the traffic light gang returned to town.

In a room filled with antiseptic scent, Flynn was lying face down on the bed, still passed out. A female doctor was checking over his wounds with Adam hovering nervously around her. Rory had taken a seat on the floor beside the door, observing the situation, but too drained to do anything more.

At first, Aki was standing with Rory but the medical smell brought unpleasant memories to the surface.

Aki was no stranger to getting injured and despite the top-class medication that was provided, under the lights, there were still scars that faintly shone all over her body.

However, Aki did not mind herself getting injured. It was when others were implicated because of her that caused the light in her eyes to dim. Her fallen comrades, her once-friends that were caught up in her fights and the memories when her family laid stone cold.

Shaking off the depressing memories, Aki left the room.

They were currently in a small cottage where the doctor lived and worked, with another room where patients laid. For those that needed constant care, they were housed here. But for more serious injuries that the doctor cannot cure, the patients were sent to the capital instead.

However, being in a world where magic was everywhere, the injured usually have a high recovery rate and rarely anyone actually stays over.

Aki walked through the back door of the cottage to a little garden that overlooked the back of the forest. Sitting down at the steps, Aki breathed in the fresh air and gazed at the colorful flowers that the doctor had planted.

The wind blew, rustling Aki's black hair and Aki could only hear distant bird songs.

Footsteps resounded from behind Aki, putting her on an instinctual alert. Anything that approaches from the back is a potential threat. Stepping up to Aki, it was the doctor who had lit up a roll and smoked.

The doctor had faded blonde hair that looked close to platinum white that was tied up into a loose bun. There were light wrinkles around her green emerald eyes as if from laughing too often. Despite seeing blood for so many years, Aki could see kindness behind them.

Not like her eyes where Aki knew shadows lurked.

"The kid is okay. That healing potion healed him up pretty well. With some ointment and not a scar would remain." The doctor blew out smoke that oddly smelled herbal and not nicotine.

"How about the other two?"

"The red hair has gone to the room next door to rest and the other one is still sitting next to the bed. Well, there's no need to worry. For adventurers, they will get over it sooner or later."

"I'm not worried."

Aki looked up at the doctor who was puffing away. The Traffic Light gang were just people that she had some gratitude towards. After all, when she was lost they helped her willingly. They were not bad people but they were nothing more than just acquaintances.

Aki could see the doctor snickering as if she knew a secret that Aki did not.

"Tsk. I'll be going then. Please take care of them."

Aki left the little cottage behind, with the faint sounds of the doctor's laughter still in the air.