4.3 We're the same

- Before -

"Your Highness! Please retreat!"

A huge serpent with the head of a lion spat out a ball of fire at the knights. Behind them was a magician who casted a spell to block it. As they parried and fought against the Sertes, they became more and more worn out. At this rate, they will be defeated!

Gripping a sword tight in his hands, 'Your Highness' was also engaging in battle. Although dressed in high quality clothes that screamed "Pay attention to me!", with gleaming blond hair that made him stand out even more, his moves were practiced and very skillful, easily matching the knights that were desperately trying to protect him.

"HEY ISN'T THAT TSUKASA? HEEEYY TSUKASA! HOW ARE YOU DOING?"

Bursting into the scene was Takeshi who was still bouncing happily towards danger, Heiki who was backing Takeshi on his six and Aki at a distance but who was still paying attention to anything that could hurt both of them.

"Ta... Takeshi? No- No time to talk to you right now!"

Your Highness, who was the said Tsukasa, shouted back as he forced the Sertes back. The Sertes flicked its tail towards the knights, knocking them backwards, leaving some unconscious.

Standing at the edge of the battle, Takeshi and Heiki were observing the situation as Aki familiarly leaned back against a tree as if watching a show.

"DO YOU NEED HELP TSUKASA?"

"What do you think, Takeshi! HELP ME!!"

Tsukasa gritted his teeth as he protected his fallen knights. No matter what other nobles say, Tsukasa always respected his fellow subjects. They were his companions, not just chess pieces that could be tossed away. This mindset however was frowned upon, causing his father to disdain him and his elder brother to scoff.

"Fireball!"

A ball of fire appeared in Takeshi's hand. But instead of throwing the ball of fire, Takshi ran up when there was an opening and smacked that ball of fire against the Sertes. The sertes flew backwards, hitting the surrounding trees. On its skin was a tiny black mark which did not deal much damage to the Sertes at all.

"YOSH, did you see that Aki, my magnificent fireball!"

Heiki rolled his eyes as he pulled out his hammer from his magic space to deal a blow at the collapsed Sertes. It was more like Takeshi's brute strength that worked more than the magic.

Aki gave an unexpected laugh. She had never seen a battle that could be enjoyed like how Takeshi does. Usually hers were brutal, fast and if not, it was filled with agony and pain. But Takeshi made it feel so... fun. Aki for once felt that she wanted to take part in a fight together.

With the cooperation of Takeshi, Heiki and Tsukasa with his remaining knights, they managed to take down the Sertes. A cry of victory rang through the battlefield.

Takeshi gave a friendly hi-five to a knight who he met for the first time, Heiki began to help those who were hurt and Tsukasa, exhausted, sat on the ground breathing hard.

This was then when everyone had their guards down that a shadow flashed, coming out from within the trees. The black cloaked figure was watching the battle from the start and looked for an opening to finish off the Prince if the Sertes could not. With his knights out of commission and the Prince exhausted, it was the perfect timing to strike.

Flashing to the back of Tsukasa who was sitting unsuspectingly on the ground, the black figure swung his dagger towards him. One strike and the second Prince of Valticand will be no more.

A burst of light came from his feet and the intruder came to a sudden halt. Out in the open in front of everyone.

Suddenly seeing a figure appearing in front of them, Tsukasa's knights pulled Tsukasa away frantically, putting themselves between the intruder and their precious prince.

Heiki and Takeshi were also stunned by the intruder. But more than that, they knew it was Aki that had casted that spell. Aki who had just learned how to cast her first spell mere hours ago and she could now use it in a fraction of a second at the most crucial moment.

And even though it looked like a normal freeze, it was clearly more than that as the assassin was not even breathing but still alive. His body's time was suspended as if someone pressed the pause button.

The temperature dropped and shrouded in a cold aura that made the surrounding prickle, Aki walked silently up to the intruder. Drawing out Shinshu, her eyes met the intruders and recognition flashed in the black figure's eyes.

We're the same.

Resigned to his fate, he knew nothing will get in the way of an assassin. Not feelings, not rationality, only the instinctive need to eliminate.

Swinging Shinsu towards the intruder just like how he had swung his dagger towards Tsukasa, Aki was going to eliminate her target.

It was at this time when a hand gripped Aki's.

Frowning and pressing down on her urge to fight against whoever was in the way between her and the target, Aki glanced at Tsukasa.

"Wa..wait. Don't kill him first. We can get information out of him."

Ridicule shone in Aki's eyes. Interrogation? Once the assassin was free of his binds, he will either attack or commit suicide. A failed mission means death anyways, better to end it off by your own terms rather than placing that right in other people's hands.

The frozen assassin, too, rolled his eyes.

Aki who did not put down Shinsu and Tsukasa who was unwilling to budge created a stalemate.

After a brief silence, a clap sounded.

"Okay, okay, break it up, you two. Come on, Aki, it's none of our business how Tsukasa wants to deal with this... person. And Tsukasa, let go of Aki. She's not the enemy. "

"Ri.. Right."

After Heiki's interjection which broke the tense atmosphere, Tsukasa let go and Aki gave the assassin a warning glance before sheathing Shinshu back into the scabbard.

"That's SOOOO COOL AKI! What was that spell? Teach it to me as well?"

Takeshi bounded up to the group as Tsukasa stood awkwardly before Aki. When he saw Aki's gaze that mocked him, it immediately reminded him of his elder brother and an ice cold feeling filled his body.

"Little brother, little brother. You should stop being so soft, if not one day it will come back to bite you when you're least expecting it."

As Takeshi was making a fuss with Aki at the side, a hand patted Tsukasa's shoulder in comfort. Looking sideways, Heiki gave Tsukasa a smile and tension drained out of him.

"Well, time for a little introduction. Aki, this is Tsukasa, our classmate and the second prince of Valticand. Tsukasa, this is Aki, our friend."

Hearing that, Aki snapped out of her battle mode. A friend. A small smile surfaced on Aki's lips.

"Thank you very much for the help Aki. I'm Tsukasa Camelot de Valticand."

Looking at the foolish Prince, Aki gave a curt nod and walked away, back to the tree which she was leaning against previously as the rest sorted out the rest of this mess.