2.2 Welcome!

- before -

In a deserted alley, Aki found herself looking at another dilapidated building that could rival the Hunters Guild. She's starting to see a trend here.

That whirlwind called Misha had shoved Aki a piece of paper with an address while chattering up a storm. And since Aki did not have the right gear to be venturing anywhere at all, Misha directed her to a weapons shop that her friend had opened. Musing that she had never met anyone that talked that fast before, Aki decided it wasn't so bad to just take a look at what the shop had to offer.

"Heiki!!!!! The magic staff that you made for me broke again!!!"

The first thing that Aki saw was a buff man dressed in a magician's deep dark green cloak with fancy gold embroidery at the corners. She had never seen someone so mismatched with what they were wearing. Not that he looked bad, with a head of messy brown hair and warm chocolate eyes, he was ruggedly handsome.

"It's all because of your enormous strength you idiot Takeshi! How many of these do you think I have made for you! Why don't you just switch to another weapon?!" Another man was at the counter arguing back. Although he was not as well-built, he was a little taller and spotted a sparse beard.

"But I am a Magician!!! And Magicians wear robes and use magic staff. If I use something else I won't be called a Magician anymore!"

They argued back and forth without realizing Aki's presence. The whole shop could be seen at a glance and weapons were piled messily on the shelf and some hung on the wall.

Walking around the small store, Aki found single handed swords, axes, spears, shields, dual wielding swords and many more that were suited for many different fighting styles.

Besides the traditional cold weapons, there were also things like laser guns, light sabers, and a few other trinkets that Aki could not identify.

But what stopped Aki was a sleek back Katana that had a little red glint in the sword edge. Even as it was put among other more embellished swords, Aki felt like it was calling out to her. She reached out before she could even think twice about it and found that it fitted perfectly in hands.

This exquisite masterpiece resembled the one she had back home but more perfect. Looking at the katana, Aki felt familiarity and even a sense of ownership as she gave it a few practice swings. It felt like it was made to be hers.

*Woosh, woosh*

The sound of the katana cutting through the air finally attracted Heiki's and Takeshi's attention. Turning to look, they saw a beautiful girl swinging a sword around. Although it seemed like random swings, both of them could tell that Aki was a veteran with her posture and slight adjustments she took when changing the directions of her cuts.

"H... Hey Heiki, isn't that the sword that you said that it can't be easily used? DID YOU LIE TO ME?"

"No bakashi. That sword is really hard to use. It is a sword that has its own consciousness. I picked it up in the ruins we were exploring, remember? From what I felt, it seems like an ancient artifact or some sort. It has its own feelings and opinions. I mean, it even hates Tsukasa, you know?"

"Eh?! But isn't Tsukasa the top swordmaster in our academy? Even he doesn't qualify?"

"Yeah... because he's a man."

"..."

"I would like to buy this. How much is it?"

Aki sheathed the sword and brought it to the counter where the two men were whispering among themselves like housewives gossiping in the marketplace. They did not notice Aki's approach and jumped a little.

"WOAH you scared me little girl."

Aki's eyebrow twitched at being called a little girl. Sure, she was small in size and just 16, but no one would like to be called little.

"Welcome to Get a Heiki shop. I'm Heiki and this is Takeshi."

"Ooff- H..Hi..." Takeshi groaned after being jabbed by Heiki who instinctively knew that Aki was not pleased.

"I want to buy this."

Aki placed the katana on the table.

"You sure? The katana is not an ordinary katana. You definitely felt it right?"

Aki nodded. Aki had felt a silent hum from the sword. The sword was transmitting its feelings and intentions to her. Although it was not as clear as spoken speech, what it felt was clearly conveyed. Excitement, relief and gratefulness. Aki had decided then to buy it no matter the price. Maybe she could pay it by installments if it was too expensive.

"I was recommended here by Misha."

"Reveal. Yeah, that certainly is Misha's magic signature."

Aki showed Heiki the piece of paper with the directions and after placing his hand above it, a magic circle appeared above the paper. Aki's eyes widened in shock and curiosity.

"You are a new Hunter? Then I'll sell you the sword at one gold."

The Other World guild provided Aki 5 gold coins a month. One gold coin was equal to ten silvers, and one silver was 10 copper coins. The meat that Aki bought was sold at 2 coppers. So, she got the sword just for.... quite some meat. Aki gave up calculating and just paid up.

"Do you need some amour or any other necessities? You got your magic bag yet? How about potions in the event of an emergency?"

Even though it felt like Heiki was pushing for more sales, in actuality he was just exhibiting his mother hen habits once again. Having 7 little siblings really does a number to you.

Aki patiently answered Heiki and attained some more basic materials and information. Takeshi was standing at the side scratching his head, unable to provide any input as he was usually the one leaving the logistic works to someone else in his party.

"I can teach you magic!"

Takeshi suddenly burst out after a considerable time of not being able to join in the conversation but desperately wanting to. He remembered how Aki had looked in wonder at the simple Reveal spell and thought that this was his chance!

His outburst stopped the conversation awkwardly and a short silence hung in the air. Aki looked at Takeshi's shining puppy eyes and felt as if she could see two ears and a tail wagging around.

"Okay." Aki, as always, could not reject puppy eyes.

In the little run down weapon shop, as Aki got to know Takeshi and Heiki, she felt a long lost warmth filling her heart up. Even though it was just having a mediocre conversation, Aki felt little bubbles of peace surfacing and grounding her, the first ever since she arrived here.

Author's FIY:

Heiki and Takeshi are both creations from my friend. Takeshi is build like a warrior but desperately wants to be magician. With that, funny antics happen as he tries to master magic but in the end wins out using his brute strength instead. He was initally ideated to be part of a Magician party that is filled with aspiring magicians who are actually good at doing something else (smithing, thief etc) and a real magician who wants to be a tank. Hope she creates a written or drawn story soon~~~