5.2 Did not lose anyone this time

- Before -

"And now you add the Herb in and you're done. After 24 hours of steeping, the essence will be extracted and we will use the liquid as ingredients for the potion. See, isn't it easy?"

Axel glowed with pride, seeking praise from Aki. Looking at how Axel puffs up, it reminded Aki of Kit Kat who also often puffs up. Aki patted Axel on the head.

"You're very smart and amazing."

Axel glowed even more. They had been tinkering with the projects in Axel's room. Even though Axel said he would bring Aki on a tour, it was only limited to his workshop. Just imagining those curious or mocking gazes that will be cast on him when he leaves the room makes him even less enthusiastic about leaving his sanctuary.

As they were going to proceed to another experiment, frantic footsteps approached the room as Martila burst in. Aki immediately placed herself between the door and Axel, ready to protect him against anything that may cause him harm.

"Axel! Do you still have any high rank Layrid? His highness was poisoned and need some immediately!"

"Martila... don't scare me like that. And of course I don't have any. That was why we needed Aki to bring over some, even if it's just a mid-grade one."

Axel frowned. He had always disliked the royal house. Whenever they had an emergency, they would come running to the Alchemy guild and demand stuff from them. Even though the reward was good, Alchemists were not their servants at their beck and call.

"Right... Oh, what should we do? If we are able to save his highness, we can ask for a new building fully funded by the royal house and maybe even get a year's worth of extra budget."

Martial, too, was not concerned about the royal house and was only concerned about the benefits they would bring to the Alchemy guild. Her tail swished in contemplation as her eyes fell on Aki.

"Oh! Aki! Would you mind doing a last minute quest now? We have some A ranked adventurers who can accompany you to hunt for the high ranked Layrid! The last time a high ranked Layrid was found was at the east side forest, only a short walk away. But it was guarded by a Sussus, an A rank monster. Since we had no need for it, we did not commission any Hunters for it. If you agree we will pay you... five times the usual amount!"

Aki blinked. For Aki, money was not much of an appeal as she only needed enough to fill her stomach and put a roof over her head. But whatever the Hunter earns, 5% will be given to the Hunters guild and imagining how happy Misha would be at this, Aki agreed.

"Wha- you can't just get Aki to do it so suddenly! This is an abuse of authority! Aki! You don't have to agree to this!"

Axel puffed up in Aki's defense and walked in front of her, like he was trying to protect Aki from the world at large. Feeling soft inside, Aki placed her hand on Axel's head and rubbed gently.

"I'll be fine."

Aki tried to refuse the accompanying A rank adventurers but both Axel and Martila insisted. No matter how Aki claimed that she was able to protect herself, she was still only a C class Hunter. Leaving a deflated Kit Kat with a deflated Axel, Aki left with a group of five A rank adventurers.

"Hey little girl, stick close to us and don't wander around! We, Triade, will bring you safely to the Layrid! Hahahaha!!"

A buffed man said as he walked next to Aki. dressed in a typical adventurer's gear. He was around mid 40s with a friendly smile, different from the other silent four members around him. Triade was a big adventurers association of more than a hundred members, where they often party with their members to fulfill their quest quota, even if they have never met before.

And this resulted in a less than friendly atmosphere which Dean was trying to liven up.

"Okay."

Aki gave an obedient nod, cutting off any potential way of continuing the conversation. Dean scratched his head and smiled wryly, continuing to move forward.

They have been walking through the seemingly peaceful forest for a while now when Aki stopped.

"Hey, what's wrong little girl?"

"It's here."

"What's her-"

Before Dean could finish his words, a tremble vibrated through the ground as heavy footsteps sounded. Appearing from deep within the forest, was a creature with three horns that looked like a wild boar. Except, it was towering over them at a height of more than 4 meters tall.

"Get into formation! It's about to charge!"

Dean shouted as he tried to command the group. Yet despite his instructions, the other 4 began to rush up to attack the Sussus without any plans.

"He- HEY!!"

"Stop pretending you are in charge of us Dean! You're just an adventurer that was stuck at A rank and is never able to move up! It's time for the new bloods to be in charge!"

A blue haired warrior shouted as he moved to attack the boar at close range.

"That's not why-"

A shadow fell upon Dean and Aki who was still standing beside him. Turning around, he saw another Sussus appear behind them.

"Shit! Little girl, remember to stand behind me no matter what! When I give you the go, run away as fast as you can from here!!!"

Gritting his teeth, Dean braced himself as the Sussus charged. Horns met the broad sword that Dean swung and tried to parry against the Sussus, but as the Sussus put more strength into his charge, Dean could feel himself being pushed back.

"Not good. Go! Run now little girl!"

As Aki stood behind Dean, she found this scene familiar.

"Run Aki, go now! We will keep them here!"

"Kai, no! I'm not leaving you guys behind-"

"GO! Remember your mission. You must eliminate the target. Nothing else matters. Now go!"

Aki stopped breathing. That battle itself was caused by a conflict between two gangs for a reason that was so miniscule that it was ridiculous. But because of this, the Nishimura force was engaged and in the end the force lost more than half of its members. Even though they won the conflict, Aki had lost so much more.

Breathing in, Aki drew Shinsu and dashed ahead. She was never going to let that happen again.

As the Sussus blew Dean away, Aki slipped into the opening and slashed upwards, accurately slashing the Sussus's throat. Roaring in anger, the Sussus tried to counter but ended up suffering more slashes from Aki. Jumping onto the Sussus, Aki stabbed the sword downwards. Giving a last cry, the Sussus collapsed.

As Dean looked up, what he saw was Aki who took his breath away. Rather than a righteous hero, she looked like a death god who had descended to grace mortals with her presence. As her black hair fluttered in the air, her moves were fast, efficient and so beautiful altogether.

Jumping off the defeated Sussus, she dashed to the other Sussus which was joined by a third one and finished them off as well.

The A grade adventurers that defied Dean were worse for wear but still alive. Walking back to Dean, Aki squatted down and took out a healing potion and tended to him.

"Th- Thank you." Dean said as Aki healed him up with pursed lips.

"Don't... Don't tell me to go anymore..."

Although Dean did not understand, looking at the grief that was within Aki's eyes, Den nodded. A small smile appeared as Aki visibly relaxed.

She did not lose anyone this time.