A Crack in the Silence

It had been a day since Guren helped resolve the five bands' little problem. Likewise, it had been a day since she found out about Shizuka's guitar skills, and the fact that she wasn't completely mute. Why she hid that, Guren wouldn't know. And something told her the others wouldn't know about it either. They did introduce Shizuka as a mute when they first met.

"Sakura-san, eyes up front," came her teacher's voice.

Guren looked up from her notebook, and saw the whole class looking at her, thanks to the teacher.

"Glad to see you've returned to us. Now, eyes on the board," the woman spoke, pointing to a picture she had up. "It is said you only need a few colors in order to paint so that adjacent colors are clearly separated. Do you know the name of the theorem named after this number?"

"Four color theorem," she answered, much to her classmates' surprise, her teacher especially baffled, before regaining her composure.

"Yes. That is correct," the teacher confirmed, as she put up a picture that looked similar to the first one, only colored. "As you can see, any flat image can be painted using only four colors. Many people have realized this principle based on experience since ancient times. However, it's difficult to prove, and was an unsolved problem for a long time." To Guren, specifically, she then said, "Sakura-san. It's nice to know you know the answer to the question, but please make some effort to make it look like you're paying attention than not."

"Yes, sensei." Despite her answer, the tone Guren used practically insinuated that she didn't care much. As much as the teacher wanted to scold her for the tone, she had a class to teach, and went back to the lesson.

******

Later at lunch, Guren sat with the Haneoka half of the Girls Band Party group, a tray of katsu curry meal set before her.

"You really spaced out during class today, Sakura-san. Did something happen?" Maya asked.

"Just thinking of some stuff, that's all," Guren answered.

"Really? What about?" Lisa asked.

Knowing so well that she couldn't speak the truth, Guren instead answered, "Just about the Girls Band Party."

"Ah, yes. The fleeting event that many kittens will be waiting for~" Kaoru spoke.

"We pretty much have the set list done. All that's left are costumes, refreshments, and posters for the event," Tsugumi listed.

"Hey Moca. Isn't your mom a designer? We could have her help designing the posters," Tomoe pointed out.

"Hmm, that's true," Moca said in a lazed tone. "I'll see if I can get my mom's assistance~"

"I'll talk to Saya and Marina-san about the refreshments. And Chisato-san and Kanon-san," Tsugumi spoke.

"Then I'll help out with costumes!" Himari volunteered.

"Oh! Mind if I help out?" Lisa asked. "A member of our band is also great with designing our costumes. In fact, she even made our stage outfits."

"That's a great idea! Let's do that!"

"Glad to see everyone is getting along," Guren said.

"Of course. After that show you put on for us, that speech you gave, you will find that we're different from before," Yukina said.

"That's great. That means I don't have to convince you all to get along again." When Guren said that, a few people near her flinched.

"Ah! That reminds me!" Hina spoke up. "Guren! Do a suplex on me!"