Chapter 5

Cole sat in the chair behind his desk. Marissa was also there, sitting on top of it, her legs seductively crossed. She watched Cole in love, as always, while he was talking something to her. Their closeness at this point blatantly revealed their more than work-related relationship.

But whatever was happening there or was about to happen was interrupted by knocking on the door, followed by an opening.

Cole glared at the door, wondering who could get in without permission.

A moment later, Vanessa's voice affected him like a cold shower. "Cole."

After their brief meeting a little earlier at the restaurant and his behavior, Vanessa decided to stop by his office first after lunch.

As expected, Cole's eyes filled with anger, but Marissa's even more. She wondered how the new girl dared to call Cole Willker by his first name. None of the employees could afford that except Mike. Even in their intimate moments, she called him 'Boss' or 'Mr. Willker.'

"Firstly, Vanessa—next time, wait for permission before entering. And secondly—I'm busy."

"Yeah, I see," Vanessa answered apathetically.

She pulled out her phone and began dialing a number. A second later, the phone on the secretary's desk rang.

"I think your phone rings, secretary," Vanessa said to Marissa with her hands on her hips.

Marissa left the office furious.

Vanessa took a few steps inside. "It looks like you are not busy anymore."

Cole got up from his chair, walked over to her, and crossed his arms.

This audacity of hers. Again.

But surprisingly, with a respectful tone, Vanessa started talking. "I apologize for coming without being called. I... I was excited about the opportunity given to me and had this speech prepared... But then you seemed not interested in talking to me at the restaurant. So, with a risk for you to fire me on my first working day—"

"You are close to that," Cole said, interrupting his assistant.

Vanessa didn't pay much attention to Cole's words and continued. "Well, I'll take the risk. I just wanted to tell you that starting working here with you is an honor. You have the fame of a respected person. I hope I'll also manage to gain your respect."

Cole looked Vanessa intently in the eyes. Although it was fearless and even unreasonable for her to act like this, that was a fair shot. With tactful words, she showed him his behavior was disrespectful at some point. Not that he owed something particular to his employees, but he was supposed to be more respectful toward her out of simple manners.

He answered nothing. He just kept looking her in the eye.

Vanessa used that as a sign that she had not crossed the line even if she was on the verge of permissible.

After a few seconds, Cole returned to his chair behind the desk. "Welcome to my company, Vanessa."

"Thank you, Mr. Willker. As I said, I am honored to be a part of your company. I will do my best to meet your expectations."

"Glad to hear it. I will expect your best. Now, you can finish the work that Mike gave you, and tomorrow, we will continue with your introduction to work."

"Sounds good. Well, I'll let you continue what you were busy before with..."

Vanessa winked at him and left the office.

What happened was risky again. But Vanessa used the situation to analyze Cole's reactions. She had to build a more precise plan for her behavior toward him, as it was clear that working there would be complicated.