Chapter 13

"Cole! My boy!" Kristen hugged her son the moment she saw him. "Don't do this ever again, Cole!"

"I don't think if I had told you, that would have helped with something."

"I am your mother. I have the right to worry about my daughter. I have the right to know if something happened to my children!"

"I couldn't focus if I had to worry about you, too, Mother."

"You don't have to worry about me, Cole. I am alright. I don't even need the antidepressants anymore. You know how sorry I am about what happened before, but I'm still your mother."

Kristen Willker was generally a strong woman. But she had been in a deep depression when she lost her husband. Her condition had deteriorated so much that there were times when her children were afraid that they could lose her, too. But fortunately, after severe and painful treatment, she fully recovered.

"I don't blame you, Mother. I am trying to protect you. All of you."

"It is my job to protect you, not otherwise." Kristen caressed Cole's cheek and continued. "But let's end this conversation. We have a guest now. I met your beautiful assistant. She is—"

Cole moved away his gaze from his mother and looked directly at Vanessa.

Their eyes met. There was something intense in the situation that could be sensed in the air. For a moment, they both felt like everything around them had disappeared. They were lost in each other's eyes. But neither of them would let the other see it.

"Cole, are you listening to me?" His mother took him out of his thoughts.

Cole hadn't heard anything of what she was talking about in the past few minutes. But he didn't answer her when she drew his attention. He didn't even turn to her—he just kept looking into his assistant's eyes.

"Vanessa."

"Hello, Cole," Vanessa answered him.

Kristen looked at them in amazement. It wasn't long before she looked at Rebecca questioningly, but Rebecca only shrugged in response.

"Alright, kids. Take sits. I will bring the dinner," Kristen insisted, heading to the kitchen.

Rebecca took Vanessa by the arm. "Nessa, come on."

They all sat around the table, and after serving the dinner, Kristen joined them. "I can't describe how happy I am to be together again, my dears!" She started pouring wine into the glasses.

"Thank you, Kristen, but I don't drink alcohol," Vanessa said when Kristen reached for her glass.

"All right, darling." Kristen set the bottle aside. "I could make you some lemonade if you want?"

"Oh, don't worry, please. I'd just like a glass of water."

"Of course."

"Well." Jackson took the floor. "I'm glad to tell you that we'll be together more often now because guess what? I'm moving back!"

"This is awesome, Jacks!" Rebecca exclaimed happily. "Um, once we're on the topic..." She closed her eyes, ready for a reaction after her following words. "I'm moving out."

After a few seconds of silence, Rebecca opened one eye slightly, looking at Cole.

"That's not gonna happen, Rebecca," her older brother said firmly, sipping his glass.

"I am not asking for your permission, Cole! Nessa and I will rent a place. We can't all live in this house forever! You said that a couple of years ago, remember?"