Chapter 28

The following day / At Owen and Jessica's apartment

Owen had already been released from the hospital and was recovering at home. He and Jessica lived in a small rented apartment but were very happy there.

"When are we going to tell them, Owen?" Jessica asked, sitting on the bed next to him.

"Be patient a little longer, baby. You know what happened to the boss."

"But the wedding is in a few weeks!"

"Don't worry. Let them deal with the situation, and then we'll let them know we're getting married. And you'll have plenty of time for the preparation of your dreamy wedding. We already have an appointment with a priest, and we've got a place, so all that's left is the details. I'm sure Becca will be happy to help you."

Jessica smiled and laid down next to her fiancé and hugged him.

"I can't wait."

At that moment, the doorbell rang.

"It's probably Mike. Will you open the door, baby?"

"Sure," Jessica replied and went to the door.

"Hi, Jess," Mike greeted her, kissed her on the cheek, and walked inside.

"Mike, welcome. I'll make a coffee. Owen's in bed."

Jessica went into the kitchen, and Mike went to Owen.

"How are you, bro?"

"Mike, come in. I'm as good as new! A few punches can't break me."

"Glad to hear it."

"How's the boss?"

"He's fine, too. You know him—him, even a bullet can't break him."

"Did they find this Jerry guy?"

"Not yet. He has covered himself. But Danny is using all his resources and connections to find him. I guess it's only a matter of time. Although I'm worried about what Cole will do then."

"Don't worry about him. He's a smart guy."

"I know. But sometimes smart people do stupid things when they're angry. But I can't do anything, so I'll just pray for the best outcome."

***

While Mike was spending time with his stepbrother, across the ocean, Kristen had taken Rebecca to a small but beautiful city in a small but beautiful country.

"I had never been to Bulgaria," Rebecca exclaimed as she and her mother walked through the streets of the city of Plovdiv.

"I decided that it would be nice for us to diversify a little. And it's very nice for people to return to their roots. My grandmother was Bulgarian, and when I was little, I often came here to visit her. Plovdiv has a rich history and is one of the oldest cities in the world."

"I like it. It's beautiful here."

"Yes, it is. Come on, I'll take you to the old town. It's very beautiful at dusk there."

***

Back to LA

Vanessa had her laptop open and was trying to do some work to distract herself from the incessant thoughts racing through her head. She was feeling like a prisoner at the moment. She couldn't go out alone, and she was so useless there.

But good news arrived when she received a phone call from Karevsky.

"I'm listening."

"Blake. The dead man's name is Sam Moore. He works for some guy named Jerry Brennan. Nothing big. Just a local gang. They deal mostly in drug trafficking on the streets. All of Jerry's people are criminals, well known to the police. That's why they hide very well."