Chapter 18

"Come with me, Vanessa."

The song was over, and so was Cole's tenderness.

"Don't boss me around, Cole!" Vanessa told him, visibly annoyed at his sudden change of mood. "We're not at work."

"Because when we're at work, you obey, right? Anyway, you're coming with me."

Cole didn't let go of Vanessa's hand even for a moment, and the two walked toward the bottom of the hall. After a few steps, she focused on Andrea and a man in the distance, though her vision was quite blurry.

As they passed a waiter on their way, Vanessa grabbed a glass from his tray and drank it to the ex.

Cole looked at her but couldn't stop her anyway.

After a few more steps, they were already to Andrea and the unknown man.

"Why are you here?" Cole asked them in a rough tone.

"Andrea suggested we check the situation here, Cole," the man replied. "You asked for security, remember?"

"Outside. Not inside, Dan. And what are you even doing here, Andrea?"

"I'm accompanying Danny. Is there anything wrong with that?"

Vanessa looked at the man and then remembered that she had seen him at the security company. But what did Andrea have to do with it? Considering the black suit she was wearing and the Bluetooth headset in her ear, the only logical explanation was that she also worked at the company, although she had never seen her there. Not that it mattered much, anyway.

"Everything is wrong with your presence here, Dan," Cole's voice grew sharper. "I told you to stand in front, watch, and nothing else."

"Don't talk to him like that, Cole," Andrea interjected timidly. She seemed to be saying her words with a touch of uncertainty.

"She's right. You're not her boss, and you're not my boss." Danny also took a slightly offensive stance.

"You think you can talk and do whatever you want, Dan? Just because my father made you a partner in the security company? Do I need to remind you that my father is gone? I control all the Willker's empire now and own the largest share of your little security company's shares. So if I decide, you both will stay in the street!"

Vanessa continued to watch from the sidelines. She couldn't explain how Cole could be so kind one moment and so rude the next. She wasn't aware of the history between him and this Dan, but she knew about his relationship with Andrea. And even though Rebecca had told her that they were just being intimate, his tone right now was too rude, even for him.

When she was immersed in her thoughts, Danny and Andrea left without another word.

"You know what, Cole?" Vanessa turned to him. "You're an ass." Her words came out of her mouth without thinking about what she was saying. "Poor girl. She was in your bed a few days ago, and now you're acting like this with her?"

"In my bed, you said it. I didn't call her here."

"You are grossing me out."

"Well, I can be less of an ass and fuck her here if it will make you feel better."

Vanessa turned red with anger and took the glass from the hand of a man standing nearby, but Cole quickly took it from her and gave it back to the man. "Excuse her." Then he turned to Vanessa again. "You will drink no more."

"Damn it, Cole!"

"Stay here. I'll find Jackson and take you home."

"You're not going to tell me what to do!"