Chapter 15

New York City / Saturday night

"We'll miss you, bro!" The voice of Tristan, one of Jackson's roommates and his best friend, could barely be heard in the loud music in the apartment. "Nothing will be the same anymore."

"You're wrong, bro!" Their other roommate, Mark, intervened. "Finally, there will be chicks for us too!"

"You are such a jerk," Tristan scolded him, and right after that, both he and Jackson burst out laughing.

"I'm gonna miss you too, guys! Especially you, Mark." Jackson patted him on the shoulder.

"You still have time to think!" Tristan tried one last time to dissuade Jackson.

"Nah. I had a great time here, but it's time for me to go back home."

The truth was that Jackson's decision to return to LA was not spontaneous. He had begun to consider it in the last few months. Not that he was completely tired of the party lifestyle, but more and more, he felt it was time for him to grow up. Or rather, to start behaving like an adult, given that he was already 26 years old.

He had run away from responsibilities without even assuming that, sooner or later, he would need something more severe than endless parties in his life.

"Jackson, there you are." A sexy, dark-haired girl approached them. "I've been looking for you!"

"We are talking here, Stacy," Jackson answered her.

"Alright, big boy. Keep talking." She turned with her back to him and started moving in the music rhythm, rubbing her ass in his intimate zone.

It wasn't long before Jackson was on her vibe. "Okay, guys, I'm sure the party will be here after an hour."

He took the girl's hand and led her to his room.

"Don't leave, Jackson. Stay with me. I'll miss you," she told him while he was kissing her neck and taking off her clothes in the meantime.

"Don't talk nonsense. We met a week ago."

"But you can't deny that we're having a great time together."

"Yes, so let's not spoil it with talk."

He lifted her into the air and carried her to bed.

***

Back to LA

"You look so happy today, Becks," Vanessa noted and sat on the couch next to her.

"Well, duh! I have a new roommate!" Rebecca lay down, resting her head on Vanessa's legs. "And Jackson will come back tomorrow. Everything is perfect!"

"Yes, I think so, too. And unwinding and gossiping all day long turned out to be quite enjoyable, I have to admit."

"I told you so!"

The next moment the girls' giggles were interrupted by slamming the door.

"Yes, I heard you!" Cole's voice talking on the phone was heard a second after that.

"Turn the TV on, Becca!" he ordered while walking toward the girls.

Rebecca stood up and reached for the remote. "What happened, Cole?" she asked timidly.

"Just turn the fucking TV on!"

Rebecca immediately pushed the button, and the 85" LCD television on the wall in front of them turned on.

Vanessa crossed her arms, glaring at Cole, who was already by the sofa.

"Breaking news," the reporter's voice caught everyone's eye, and they all stared at the TV. "The police identified the man whose body was found dead a few days ago. His name is Tom Patterson."