Chapter 23

*Flashback*

"Blake, I'm here."

"They are dead, Karevsky. Steve and Grace are dead. They have been murdered. Because of me."

"Who has done that?"

"I don't know."

"Then why do you blame yourself?"

"What else could be the reason? They were good people, Karevsky. The murderer is probably someone who has wanted to get to me. But instead of me in the house, my parents have been there. They have been just in the wrong place at the wrong time. There is no reason for someone to want to kill them if it wasn't because of me. Their only mistake was that they chose me to adopt."

"This is not enough reason to blame yourself for their death, Blake! You don't even know who the killer is and are in a hurry to conclude the cause. Maybe they have had their own enemies?"

"That's bullshit! They were nothing but good and kind people. Everyone loved them. You know that."

"I know that. But I also know that you can't live with this guilt without even knowing if it was connected to you! This will destroy you."

"That's why I need your help.  I stole this footage from the neighboring building before the police checked for cameras. The killer is seen, but I can't recognize his face because he wears a hood that closes it almost completely."

"Let me see that."

"Do you think that you can recognize the person?"

"It will be hard. But I promise you I'll do everything I can. But remember one thing, Blake. Even if someone did this because of you, you were not the one who pulled the trigger."

"Find me this person, Karevsky! I must find out the reason for their death in every possible way. Then. I have to kill that son of a bitch. It is my responsibility to avenge them."

Present time

A mighty rumble shook everything around. Flashes of lightning were turning night into day. The rain was falling harder and harder. As if nature was drawing strength from the emotions at that moment. A clash of anger and contempt. Grief. Sadness. Pain.

"What did you just say, Karevsky?"

"What you heard, Blake. I'm sorry. Last week I played the recording through a new tool I developed, and I was finally able to read the man's words. At first, they didn't make any sense. I tried to research the code before I told you. But then you sent me a picture of this sheet. Where exactly that code was written on."

"Written by Cole."

"That's why I decided to come here and tell you that in person."

At that moment, Vanessa recalled McKenna's words: "We believe he is a dangerous man. I was told to send my best man there."

Vanessa clenched her fists in anger. "I live with that bastard! I'm gonna kill him!"

"Calm down, Blake! Just think."

"How dare you tell me to calm down? He is the one I was looking for! And you are telling me to calm down?"

"Yes, you must be calm so as not to do something hastiness!"

"You mean to kill him? I am so gonna kill his sorry ass!"

"That's what I'm talking about. Get your shit together, Blake! You have to use the advantage you have now! I tried to find a connection between him and them, but there was none. You must use your closeness with him to find out your answers."

Closeness? Vanessa thought, and the memory of their kiss flashed before her eyes. The kiss that had made her feel in a way no intimate act with anyone had ever made her feel before. What an irony...

"This is the only way for you to find out the reason why they were murdered." Karevsky continued.

"You are suggesting I keep living in that way? Living with him? Working with him? Pretending that I don't know anything?"

"I just remind you that this was your original plan since their death. To find the reason. If someone can do that—it's you!" Karevsky closed his umbrella, dropped it to the ground, and then placed his hands on Vanessa's shoulders. "You are the strongest person I know. You've gone through hell. You are trained in the hardest way. You have passed trials, physically and mentally, which a few can survive. You are a soldier! You can do this, Blake! Do it for yourself! To be able to live normally again. To get out of the darkness. To find some happiness."

"There is no way for me to live normally. You know it. I know it. There is no such a thing as happiness in this world for me." Vanessa took his hands in hers. "Thanks for coming here, Karevsky!"

"I told you, you'll need me." He hugged her and kissed her on her forehead.

"Have a safe flight," she said to him and left.

***

Vanessa returned to the house and went into her room. She opened her locked suitcase, took a gun from there, and immediately after that, left the room.

She tiptoed down the hall and opened the door to Cole's room. She stood there for a few seconds, watching him sleep in the darkness, clutching the gun in her hand. Her finger was trembling on the trigger. Yeah...I have passed a hell of trials. But somehow, this is the hardest thing in my life.

Vanessa closed the door and left the house again.

After some time, she was already standing in front of the front door of a not-very-big house in one of the outer and quiet neighborhoods of the city. She took a picklock from her pocket, approached the lock, and a few seconds later, the door was unlocked.

Vanessa went inside, and opposite her, at the end of the antechamber, there was another interior door. It was time to create a sound.

She got stronger and kicked the door. Its handle got broken. The hinges got bent. An imprint of her foot marked the surface, and the surrounding wood cracked. The door opened.

Just a moment later, a gun was heard being loaded in the darkness. "Freeze!"

Vanessa didn't flinch. She also had her gun in her hand. The lamp lit up.

"You?"

"You weren't expecting me, were you, McKenna?"

"What the... What was that? My door!?" The agent placed palms on his head in bewilderment.

Vanessa aimed her gun at him. "Your door looks as you will look in a moment."

"What's going on, X? Put that gun down, and we can talk calmly!"

"Let's talk then!"

She put her gun in the back of her pants and rushed toward him.

Punch. McKenna swayed. "Let's talk then," Vanessa yelled at him. Second punch. "You son of a bitch! You sent me to him! You sent me to the man who killed my adoptive parents!"

"What?" the agent exclaimed in denial. "I don't know what you are talking about!"

"You don't?" Vanessa reached to hit him again, but this time McKenna took a few steps back, anticipating the incoming blow. "You don't know?" she repeated. "Are you telling me this is a coincidence?"

"I don't know! I'm telling you! Are you talking about Willker?"

Hearing Cole's last name made Vanessa's blood boil.

"I didn't know. I'm sorry!" McKenna started to explain himself. "The tasks came from my bosses. I just gave this job to you because I count on you in cases like this. No one gives me explanations or details. I only had to perform my tasks. And I had no right to fail. So don't blame me for calling you."

Vanessa crossed her arms. "Okay. Let's say that I do believe you. And I'll leave you alive. I want you to find out what your bosses know and who is behind all of this! From now on, you will report to me, not I to you. Understood?"

McKenna nodded his head.

"Good." Vanessa turned and headed to leave the house, talking in the meantime. "And, McKenna. Next time put an iron door."