Chapter 36

Vanessa woke up at dawn in Cole's bed. She ran her hands over her face. What did I do? she thought.

She slowly moved Cole's arm from around her and got out of bed. Looking around saw his black t-shirt on a chair. She put it on and quietly climbed the stairs to the living room.

Her dress was in shreds on the floor. She took a few steps and bent down. Her panties were also torn. She threw them back on the floor and walked over to the window.

The sunrise lit up the entire city, and the first rays of the sun caressed her gently, making their way into the room.

Vanessa leaned her forehead against the window. She wanted to get out of there. To run away. As usual. But this time, she couldn't. She has no clothes, not even underwear. She has no car. She was stuck in that apartment.

"I thought you ran away."

Vanessa turned when she heard Cole's voice behind her. "I have no clothes."

With each step he took toward her, he slowly erased all the doubts, regrets, and anger in her.

"So, I guess I did myself a favor yesterday." He grabbed her chin and lifted her face so his gaze met hers. "Look at me, Vanessa. Damn, you're so beautiful. Don't leave yet." He slowly moved one hand down her body and tucked it under her t-shirt. "You're so warm. For me."

His voice sounded seductive as he whispered to her. Her skin prickled at the burning touch of his fingers.

And she couldn't stop him. Because she wanted him.

The two merged back into one.

***

About an hour later, Cole was making coffee only in his boxers, and Vanessa was sitting on the couch, still wearing his t-shirt. "You're destroying me, Cole," she whispered to herself.

She stood up and walked to the stairs, speaking simultaneously. "I'm going to take a shower. Then you'll have to drive me to the house. I want to change and go check on Danny."

The moment she said that and stepped already on the first step, a loud crash caused her to turn around.

Cole had thrown his coffee mug against the wall. Shards of glass scattered around.

Vanessa didn't know what had made her bring up Danny's name. She hadn't considered how Cole would react.

He was so impulsive. So primal.

"You want Dan?" he asked gruffly, walking towards her. "Was I not enough? You want Dan. To fu—"

"Don't you dare finish that sentence!"

Cole, already close to Vanessa, swung and punched the wall hard. Blood spurted from the knuckles of his hand.

"There are Rebecca's clothes in the guest room," he said quietly.

He turned to walk away, but Vanessa stopped him and took his hand. "Cole, hold on. Let me take care of your hand."

"Did you sleep with him?"

"What do you want to hear?"

"I don't know, Vanessa. I don't know anything. I don't know what happens to me when I'm near you. I don't know what happens to me when I think you can be with another man. I don't know if I want to know..." He closed his eyes and took a deep breath. "Don't be afraid of me. I will never hurt you. But I don't know what I will do to him."

He punched the wall again while remembering Danny kissing Vanessa.

"Cole, stop it!" Vanessa took his hand again and put hers on it to stop the bleeding.