Chapter 8

"Hey, Becks, come in."

"Nessa, hi." As always, smiling and full of positive energy, Rebecca entered Vanessa's hotel room.

"It's not very comfortable here, but it works for me now. I still haven't had time to look for a place."

"I can imagine. New city, new job..." Rebecca sat on the couch, and Vanessa handed her a glass of water. "How did you decide to come to live in LA?"

"I have always liked the city. I don't know. One day, I just decided to move here. To set a new beginning here."

"A new beginning?"

"Yes. At some point in life, you have to settle down somewhere."

"What about your hometown?"

"I don't have anyone there."

"Your family?"

"I don't have family, Becks. I am an orphan."

"Oh..." Rebecca felt very uncomfortable. „I am sorry, Nessa."

"Don't be. Actually, I had some kind of family for a while. For a couple of years, I had adoptive parents. A lovely people. Very lovely."

"Where are they now?"

"They passed away. So, here I am. All alone again."

"Oh, my God, Nessa, that's so—" Rebecca couldn't find words.

"It's okay, Becks. I guess... I guess that's my curse. To be alone forever. But I don't want to talk about that. Okay? As I said, it's a new beginning for me here. I feel that this is the place for me."

Everything Vanessa said was true. Even the part of staying in LA because she felt the work there would last longer than usual.

Rebecca stood speechless. Everyone indeed carried their burden. She herself has not yet shaken off the bad events she had recently gone through with her ex, but Nessa's story shook her a lot. She couldn't imagine not having a family.

"Hey, cheer up, Becks."

"You're not alone anymore, Nessa. It's not like family, but a new friend is a good start, isn't it?"

"More than good. Thank you. In fact, how about you come with me someday to look for a place?"

"I'd love to," Rebecca replied without a second thought.

"Great! Now, let's get prepared. I love your dress, by the way!"

"I stole it."

As Vanessa was heading to the bedroom, she turned sharply to Rebecca. "You did what?"

"Well, I stole it from my magazine, so it might not count as stealing, right?"

Vanessa responded only with a laugh.

"Anyway, don't tell Cole. Please, Nessa!"

"Your secret is safe with me! But how did you end up taking clothes from the magazine? I bet you have thousands of dresses."

"It's from the new collection of Carl Ventes!"

"Who?"

"You don't know who Carl Ventes is?"

"Should I have to know?"

"You are kidding me, Nessa, aren't you? He is the greatest designer in the world! His new collection will be the main topic of the magazine's first issue! I live for his clothes!"

As Rebecca spoke enthusiastically about Carl Ventes, Vanessa watched her in bewilderment. "Ahm, Becks, you realize you are talking about clothes, right? Because you look like you're going to have an orgasm at any moment."