Chapter 34

A few more days passed. Then a few more.

Days without any progress at anything.

Not a word from Karevsky. Not a word from McKenna.

And not a word from Cole.

The latter was somewhat working well for Vanessa. Or vice versa. It depended on which side one looked at things.

The nights, however, were filled with the constant nightmares that kept torturing her.

But as always, after another restless night, Vanessa opened her eyes in the morning, got out of bed, and headed for the kitchen.

"Good morning, Nessa!"

"Good morning, Becks."

"Omg! I'm so excited!" Rebecca continued enthusiastically. "Would you like some coffee?"

"Yes, please," Vanessa answered, sitting on the kitchen counter.

"Do you think Cole will like the gift?" Rebecca asked worriedly, making the coffee in the meantime.

"Of course, he'll love it. Who wouldn't love to receive a yacht as a present?"

"Here you are," Rebecca handed Vanessa a cup of coffee.

"Thanks."

"What a lovely day, my dears!" Kristen said joyfully, walking into the kitchen. "Isn't it? I can't believe my boy is turning thirty!"

"Me too, Mom!"

"Well, girls," Kristen turned to them as she made tea for herself. "The gift is at the main port. Everything is set up. Have you picked out your outfits for tonight?"

"Of course!" Rebecca replied. "I've chosen for sure. But, Nessa, you haven't told me what you will wear tonight..."

"I..." Vanessa started to speak awkwardly. "About that... Kristen, you mentioned you would drop by Cole's apartment before the party, didn't you?"

"Yes, honey. I'm going over there in an hour."

"Can I ask you a favor?"

"Of course."

"I'll give you something I prepared for him. Would you leave it in his room?"

"Why don't you give it to him in person tonight, Nessa?" Rebecca interjected wonderfully.

"I'm not coming tonight." Vanessa shot out, shrugging slightly.

"What?" Rebecca couldn't process what she heard.

But Vanessa ignored her reaction and turned back to Kristen. "I am going to bring you the present right away."

She went to her room and took out a small, elegant box in matte black with a black satin ribbon from the bedside table.

Inside the box, on a velvet pad, was a luxury 'Cartier' lighter made of platinum-plated brass. Cole's initials were custom engraved on the front.

Vanessa had prepared the gift last week, although she had already decided not to attend the party.

"Nessa!" Rebecca, who had followed her, shouted after opening the door.

"Don't try to talk me out of it, Becks. I've made up my mind."

"Does he know?"

"He'll hardly notice."

"Why are you doing this, Nessa?"

"Don't make such a big deal from this, Becks."

"It is a big deal! Cole will be angry when he finds out you will not come. Damn it, even worse—it'll break his heart!"