Chapter 17

Cole reached out his hand to Vanessa. She put hers on his one.

His touch. It was like electricity passed through her body. And she literally knew what electricity passing through the body was—it burns from the inside.

"Vanessa," Cole said in a low voice, saying her name in a way that made her skin tingle every time.

"Cole."

They stood facing each other. So close that Vanessa felt Cole's heart beating. It was beating fast. So fast. Just like hers.

"Nessa!" Jackson's voice interrupted the intense moment. "You look incredible! God! You look dazzling!"

"Thank you, Jacks!" Vanessa replied after turning to him. "You look not bad yourself."

"Come on." Jackson tried to ignore Cole's presence. "The limo is waiting in front of the house!"

Vanessa looked back at Cole for a moment and, feeling a touch of awkwardness, followed Jackson.

"After you, milady!" Jackson gestured Vanessa into the car after opening the door for her.

"Thank you," she replied kindly and got into the limo.

But just before Jackson could follow Vanessa, Cole stepped in front of him and went inside.

Jackson got nervous, and it was evident from the look on his face. He also got into the limousine and closed the door behind him. Cole had already sat next to Vanessa, and he sat across from them.

"As you already saw, my brother will come with us," Jackson said to Vanessa with an apathetic tone. "But don't let this spoil your evening!"

"Someone has to represent the family properly," Cole replied to his brother.

Visually, both brothers certainly looked sophisticated enough. Cole wore a black, sleek tuxedo and black shirt. And although he wore suits in the same tone in his everyday life, in contrast to their sporty-elegant style, his tuxedo now was strictly formal. Jackson was also dressed elegantly but in lighter colors—his pants and jacket were in blue shades with lighter stripes, and his shirt was in peach color. Despite his partying lifestyle, Jackson certainly knew how to dress and behave at such social events. So, it was hard to believe that Cole's reason for joining the ball was his concern about how his brother would behave.

As Jackson looked increasingly annoyed with Cole, Vanessa tried to lighten the mood. "The more, the merrier, right?"

"Yeah, just perfect..." Jackson mumbled. "Anyway, would you like some champagne, Nessa?" he asked her, already holding a bottle of expensive champagne.

Vanessa hesitated but figured she would probably break her no-alcohol rule tonight anyway. "Yes, thank you."

Jackson filled a glass and handed it to her, then poured himself a drink and handed the bottle to Cole. Who, however, just left it in the bowl of ice without saying anything.

After about thirty minutes of awkward silence, the limousine parked in front of a large, one-story building entrance.

"We arrived!" Jackson told Vanessa, now more excited. "Come on, beautiful!"

He got out of the limo first, stood by the door, and held out his hand so he could help Vanessa out. But instead of her, Cole got out of the car and stood in front of his brother, holding his hand in the same manner. Vanessa put her hand on his and got out of the limo. She looked at him and softly whispered, "Thank you."

Cole didn't reply. They took a few steps forward, and Jackson, who had stayed behind, angrily slammed the car door.

After the three were already at the building door, Jackson approached Vanessa and put his hand on his waist so she could catch him by the hand.